ATTN: Win XP Guru's...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

okay, the story goes... on my GF's mom's business computer, there were a few different profile names setup...
i.e. when you start up the computer, you can click and choose your name... Bob, Sally, Jesie, etc.
there were some files in the My Documents directory in the profile Bob.
Some very important files to be precise.
Since the other two profiles Sally and Jesie never get used, i decided to remove those profile names.
When removing the names i chose the option to remove that user's files when deleting them.
So i restarted the computer and when everything came back up, the files were gone.
I didnt think that the files were in the other profiles but somehow they were.
But how could it be possible to access other profiles' files from another.
Is there anywhere that these files could still be around or am i SOL?

thanks in advance...

Originally posted by DTEC@Nov 24 2003, 08:38 PM
okay, the story goes... on my GF's mom's business computer, there were a few different profile names setup...
i.e. when you start up the computer, you can click and choose your name... Bob, Sally, Jesie, etc.
there were some files in the My Documents directory in the profile Bob.
Some very important files to be precise.
Since the other two profiles Sally and Jesie never get used, i decided to remove those profile names.
When removing the names i chose the option to remove that user's files when deleting them.
So i restarted the computer and when everything came back up, the files were gone.
I didnt think that the files were in the other profiles but somehow they were.
But how could it be possible to access other profiles' files from another.
Is there anywhere that these files could still be around or am i SOL?

thanks in advance...

try a system restore to like a week ago?

Umm, if possible, is there a Administrator profile?

On my dad's XP computer, my step bro's name is admin, and he can access any file on the computer. and that way, you go to documents and setting's under C:/. Then you click whatever name, that you need to access and look for those files. Or do a basic search under c:/ and that's the only other way you can find them. Otherwise, you're stray out of luck, or if you have norton, and can undelete the files themselves, which I've done many times looking school work, I needed later on.

Or if there was a system restore point created before you deleted those users, you can restore your system to that point and it will put those files as well as profiles back. Go to Programs Accessories System Tools and System Restore that should work , and put everything back in place. Good Luck

login to winxp with administrative privledges.
typicaly User Name = Administrator / password= whatever you set it to

browse to the C: drive using windows explorer
look in C:\Documents and Settings

you'll see a list of user names
Administrator
Default User
user1
etc....

Open the administrator folder and look for My Documents, double click
and it should list the files in that directory. if they aren't in the folder
or any other users directoy listed in My Documents, well then you've deleted them.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents
(you can copy and paste the above line in windows explorer or internet explorer
and it will open the exact place I'm telling you to go to)

If you don't backup your system they are pretty much gone.
If you've got Norton System works try a undelete, or if you've got
some type of undelete software that'll work too.

There is some software out there that will recover these files
as a matter of fact I'm using it right now on a Clients hard disk
that has crashed and fuxored the MFT table of an nts drive.

It ain't cheep and it. about $179 for some ok software that'll
most likely recover the files in your case it's easy as pie and it'll recover them with no problem. If you send the drive out to a place it'll cost you a minimum of $100 to look at the drive and something like $100 per 500MB

it's really comes down to how much your data is worth to you.
If you're really in a bind I can try and recover them for you, but you'd need to
send me the drive and some $$ if they are that important.

Back