Audiophile score of the decade.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So I walked into my local pawn shop to have a look around this morning, and noticed a nice looking subwoofer in between some junky ones. Took a closer look and saw the Paradigm "P" logo and started to get a little happy, looked at the rear sticker to get the model number and got a little happier had a look at the price sticker, and got straight up wood ...$101. I don't remember what they were retailing for, but the MSRP was between $1,700-$2,000. It pushes 1,200w rms and 4,500w peak, very low distortion at and under 20hz. Thing weighs 69lbs, but is only like 14"x14"x15", runs 1 12" active and two 10" passives. It's a fucking face raping beast.

I left and came back a couple hours later, decided not to wait until Friday to get it, you never know if there's another me that knows what it is, and couldn't resist the ridiculously low price. Glad I went back because I hadn't even noticed them, but right next to the sub were two Pioneer Elite AVR's, a VSX-72TXV, and a VSX-82TXS, both for only $121 each. I thought about buying both and selling the 72TXV, but decided to just get the 82TXS since it has 3 HDMI inputs. Only thing that I had second thoughts about was that neither decodes DTS-HDMA, or Dolby TrueHD, but fuck it, that quality for that price? I can live with it.

Cliffs, scored almost $3,000 worth of audio gear for $220 at a pawn shop.

lol, kk

Elite.jpg

sub.jpg

And a bonus, my current car next to my dream machine ...

cars.jpg

Yea, I was hella stoked. Now I just gotta find some mains and surrounds. I'd really like to get another set of Klipsch Reference series, but one of our friends is a Definitive dealer, so I might be able to get some for a good deal.

Normally I wouldn't even consider Pioneer except the Elite line, however I've never been able to afford an Elite. I had aPioneer AVR back in the day, but it blow up (literally, sparks and smoke), exactly the day after the warranty expired, since then I have refused to buy Pioneer ...anything.

But does the receiver have anything modern for inputs/outputs?

But does the receiver have anything modern for inputs/outputs?

It has 3 HDMI in and a single out, no USB's though, however I don't need them. The only connections I use nowadays are HDMI, Xbox 360, Bluray player, and computer. I really don't get why they didn't included DTS-HDMA, and TrueHD, maybe a licensing issue at the time, because there are lower level AVR's that have it

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/350723140VSX-82TXS.pdf

Interesting. Yeah I have an older Sony higher level amp I need to get rid of- no HDMI though.

Figured it out, DTS-HDMA and TrueHD either didn't exist yet, or weren't at consumer level yet. It was made in 2006, from what I gather they both appeared shortly there after.

BTW, it's for sale now, if anyone is interested, will ship at buyers expense. GOt a brand new Yamaha, it was exactly what I want, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, 5.1, 100w per channel, not a lot of BS I didn't want/need jacking up the price.

Last edited:
Why do you want that sliver pos when you have the blue beast?....

What model yamaha did you end up with? I have an rx-v673 and I love it. More hdmi inputs than I need, pandora, airplay, usb, etc etc. I would recommend a logitech or similar universal remote if you don't already have one.

LOL, I wish I had the blue one, the silver "pos" is mine.

What model yamaha did you end up with? I have an rx-v673 and I love it. More hdmi inputs than I need, pandora, airplay, usb, etc etc. I would recommend a logitech or similar universal remote if you don't already have one.

I got the RX-V377, absolutely a no frills, utilitarian piece of equipment, I love it. Also picked up a PS4 yesterday, $350 with 7 games installed on it :p. I've got an older Harmony SST-659, but it's only job was controlling the bluray player. Now I'll probably put the TV on it, but the Yamaha, and PS4 need their own remotes. I think the Yamaha can learn remote, so I might add my TV to it, and retire the Harmony.

i have the RX-V671 hooked up to Bic Acoustech Cinema 6 series speaker system, definitely a great mid level receiver....system just rapes and for the price you can't beat it....

Speakers
http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...-Series-6-Speaker-System/1513370/product.html

Back