AUDM civic swap (carby to efi)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18B CXi

G'day guys, i already own an 00 EK1 civic, which is my daily. i was going to do a turbo setup for it, but since its my daily & wife still drives it, i kinda gotta leace it how it is. since itll be taxtime shortly, meaning ill have a bit of money, i would like to buy an 88-91 civic hatchback for a project car.

I would like to swap in an EFI motor. you see, the aussie 88-91 civics are all fitted with d15b4 bloody carby motors! so switching to efi will be a mission in itself. i plan to use a D16A3 from an 89 integra, i know there's gotta be plenty of them around for the price of chips. gonna turbo that cause i wont need ac so i can throw that crap out so there's more room to work with!

Now, the only real problem im facing, is in fact the wiring. since its an efi motor going into a carby chassis. im a little confused as to what i need to do. not alot of the ozhonda guys are very helpful, they all just say to sell it & upgrade to efi car. i really like the look of the 4gen hatchback civic!

Now, with the wiring harness, i cant just use the D16A3s engine harness with the current harness, i need a whole harness? i was thinking if that were the case, i may be able to use the 89 integras whole harness (meaning everything from headlights to tail lights)

I know the AUDM 88-91 CRXs came out with the D16A8, so it would be much easier to source parts from that, fact is, its a rare site to see a wrecked crx in aus, plus since the parts are rare = more money. there are also imported EF civics with b-series, but again more money cause they're rare to come buy.

If anyone can suggest a method for me to do this swap, all help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance...

EFs are awesome, no doubt.

I'd say your best bet are the two options you don't want to do at the bottom. Mainly because getting the full harness from a MPFI CRX or buying a real EF8/9 EE8/9 would be the easiest possible route it seems like. Have you tried comparing the carbed wiring to the MPFI wiring at all?

no, i dont even have the car yet. its alright, because i found a forum where i have access to CRXs.

So if i got an ED CRX complete wiring harness, it will plug straight into the ED civic chassis with additional wiring/plugs, etc?

If you got a complete set up I don't see why not. The differences in chassis length is only a few inches. Though, I'm not sure how different the wiring is as I haven't owned a CRX. I know the engine/under dash between the two are really close if not identical.

well, i just found out the dual carby has an ecu, but with no fuel injection. if that be the case, & it has OBD0 plugs, wouldnt it just be a matter of repinning, adding wires & fitting a fuel injected ecu?

Back