Aurora Borealis

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The title of this thread made me think of a flock of seagulls. Also, This is sweet.

is that video time lapsed? the counter seems normal, and i dont see the stars moving at all but i didnt think they moved that fast. but ive never seen it first hand so i dont know.

and for anyone who is curious, its caused by particles (usually from the sun) interacting with the upper atmosphere. it happens at the poles because the magnetic field of the earth directs them there.

Last edited:
+ 1 on my buck list i was in awe when i was seeing the vid. ill do it right after i drive on the autobahn

Saw this about 5 years ago sitting on the boat one night in the north channel of Lake Huron. It was very surreal.

Best we could do was a bottle of rum and Pink Floyd.

Saw this about 5 years ago sitting on the boat one night in the north channel of Lake Huron. It was very surreal.

Best we could do was a bottle of rum and Pink Floyd.

:thumbsup: thats an excellent mix for this as well

4499053797_b6a1482d77_b.jpg

Crazy when they're so bright, you can look down at the snow and see the ambient light shifting around, causing it to shimmer with refracted colors. I haven't been getting to bed until like 1 am for 3 days straight.

dude its just another sign of the apocalypse.... were fucked.

but no really, i hope its not lol.

That is the shittiest part about living in the city. I hated not being able to look up at the sky at night and not seeing all the stars.

Crazy when they're so bright, you can look down at the snow and see the ambient light shifting around, causing it to shimmer with refracted colors. I haven't been getting to bed until like 1 am for 3 days straight.

damn, i heard acid keep you up

When on the magic mushies. Stare at a fish tank with bright colored fish.

That is all

Unfortunately, the best aurora are during the dead of winter when it's -40F. The summer is when everyone comes to Alaska, because that's when you can be outside without dying, but it's daylight 24hrs so you'll never see it then. I wouldn't recommend coming in the winter, unless you REALLY want to see them, because there's not much else worth doing that time of year.

Not sure how I missed this one first time around, this is pretty awesome.

Back