Auto LSD, Possible?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
Originally posted by tab@Jan 28 2004, 08:11 PM
Do the red letters LSD on the auto tranny mean that it actually has LSD? I am curious to know where I can find out, or what I can look at to find out.

auto h22 tranny with an LSD? absurd.

sounds like you got a manual dude.

Dipstick, torque converter, no clutch fork. I am sure it is automatic.(not sarcasm)

I have an auto tranny sitting in my garage with red lettering 1 cm tall. The letters read LSD. So the seller likes his acid. It is an H22A Auto tranny from Japan. I didn't pay LSD prices, so I have no worries.

I would like to know a definite way of telling if this tranny is LSD or not.

Between the splines where the axles enter each side of the transmission should be a dowel of some sort, correct? On the LSD, this dowel is not present, or so I think I've heard. This transmission has no obstructions from one side to the other while looking straight thru.

Give it to me straight boys, what is the definitive way of calling bullshit or :woo: ???

Codes, tests, visuals, knock on the head. Please don't just post in order to say you hate automatics. At least make it part of your knowledgeable answer. :)

Jack the front up and put it in neutral. Spin one wheel with your hand and watch the other one turn. In they both spin the same way, it's got an LSD. If not, it's open.

A diff is a diff, I don't see any reason why you could not have an LSD Auto trans. Haven't seen one, but that doesn't mean there can't be one.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Feb 6 2004, 08:17 AM
Jack the front up and put it in neutral. Spin one wheel with your hand and watch the other one turn. In they both spin the same way, it's got an LSD. If not, it's open.

That doesn't always work, depends on the type of LSD, and something else, there was a nice thread on H-T where they discussed this method of telling.

JDM 91-96 Prelude Si vtec had a H22A w/ LSD tranny and was availible in an automatic :)

Originally posted by tab@Feb 6 2004, 01:59 AM

Between the splines where the axles enter each side of the transmission should be a dowel of some sort, correct? On the LSD, this dowel is not present, or so I think I've heard. This transmission has no obstructions from one side to the other while looking straight thru.

thats correct

:shrug2: All I know is that I did it to mine and they spun the same way. I did it out of curiosit yto my girlfriend's LS teg and they spun opposite of each other.

Ok, I'd at least try the spinning tire thing, but the tranny is on a pallet. I'll take some pics tonight. It's possible, so that's good. There are the clues that I mentioned that lean me toward thinking it's LSD.

Is there anyplace I can cross-reference the transmission code?

thanks guys.

s402459b85f391.jpg

MP1A-4001155 is the number on the tag. Another tag says SP13 17

I put a few pics of the tranny HERE

I bought the tranny for the shorter gearing, and I'm hopeful that I just had a nice score with the LSD. I didn't pay much for it.

See this picture?

s402459a07ef7a.jpg

Like it was said to you before, if you can see all the way through, it IS a LSD.

That's what I thought, which is why I took the picture.

Thanks, I guess I scored. :)

Back