auto/manual swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

romul

I hear alot of people saying that a tranny swap is bad and will screw sh*t up in the engine.. i dont know why they say this and when they were asked why they said .. im just sure it will. anyway is there a reason for these people saying such things??

Nope. No reason at all. As long as the swap was done properly, your car will just act like a manual transmission car. You won't damage the engine unless you just drive it like an idiot.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 11 2005, 06:39 PM
Nope. No reason at all. As long as the swap was done properly, your car will just act like a manual transmission car. You won't damage the engine unless you just drive it like an idiot.
[post=552745]Quoted post[/post]​

^^ I agree....I did mines about 8 months or so ago and dont regret it..I haven't had no problems....

Originally posted by Estorvito+Sep 11 2005, 06:23 PM-->
@Sep 11 2005, 06:39 PM
Nope.  No reason at all.  As long as the swap was done properly, your car will just act like a manual transmission car.  You won't damage the engine unless you just drive it like an idiot.
[post=552745]Quoted post[/post]​

^^ I agree....I did mines about 8 months or so ago and dont regret it..I haven't had no problems....
[post=552756]Quoted post[/post]​

I did mine about... 9 or 10 months ago...

The positives are that it won't fuck up your engine, and once you get the swing of driving stick, driving is more fun most of the time (Except in bumper to bumper traffic.)

The negatives are that some parts of the conversion are a pain, like swapping in the three new pedals you need. Cotter pins and the cramped space and the awkward position can be trying on your patience. The rest of the swap is relatively straightforward, as long as you have all the parts you need before you start. And that you know how to bleed a clutch. Other than that it's not too bad.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Sep 12 2005, 12:37 AM
Another positive is the learning experience.
[post=552881]Quoted post[/post]​

agreed. :)

ok thanks alot guys nice forum btw. but wat about the ecu do i have to change it, is it possible to re program it?? and wat other parts do i need to look for for the swap to be complete? thanks alot guys this is great help

edit : almost forgot this is on a 99 civic si (form canada) i think the cdn si is the usa'S EX so wat tranny would i need and what about if i want ot turbo need anything to make it work right?

Does your SI have a B16 in it? if it does, get a hydro B series trans. as far as the ECU, you should try to find one for a manual. you can convert your auto ecu to a manual, i have no clue how though.

pedal assembly
shift linkages w/bushings
shifter
shift knob
shift boot
transmission
clutch and flywheel
ECU
may need to shim the mount on the passenger side, I know I did.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Sep 13 2005, 05:39 PM
pedal assembly
shifter
shift knob
shift boot
transmission
clutch and flywheel
ECU
[post=553910]Quoted post[/post]​

ok thanks alot it is not a b16 (altho i wish it was) in canada the SI is a d16y7 or y8 im not sure which one .. tranny ideas??

Originally posted by romul+Sep 13 2005, 05:52 PM-->
brian11to1
@Sep 13 2005, 05:39 PM
pedal assembly
shifter
shift knob
shift boot
transmission
clutch and flywheel
ECU
[post=553910]Quoted post[/post]​

ok thanks alot it is not a b16 (altho i wish it was) in canada the SI is a d16y7 or y8 im not sure which one .. tranny ideas??
[post=553925]Quoted post[/post]​

you will also need the clutch lines. as far as a tranny, get one from any 92-00 civic. they are all hydro (im speaking US models, I have no idea on canadian models.

Yeah, the Canadian Si is exactly the U.S. Civic EX with the D16Y8 engine. (One here in El Paso...??)

Originally posted by scottp11@Sep 13 2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah, the Canadian Si is exactly the U.S. Civic EX with the D16Y8 engine. (One here in El Paso...??)
[post=553948]Quoted post[/post]​

damn canadians loll *im insulting myself* haha anyway thanks alot guys any one turboed one of these or is it just better to swap tranny and motor cause i have no idea wat im gonna do yet? (most probably the auto/man swap)

Agreed. By the time you find the tranny, clutch, flywheel, clutch lines, slave cylinder (if the tranny doesnt come with one), pedal assy, shift linkage... blah blah blah ect. ect. you probably could save you self some time and with another 1000 usd just purchase a whole swap. However you would still need the lines and pedal assy. I had a D16Y8 and it really wasnt too much fun. Barley even knew vtec kicked in.

Originally posted by romul@Sep 14 2005, 06:59 PM
so what engine and what costs are we looking at ?
[post=554632]Quoted post[/post]​

http://hmotorsonline.com for swaps... (B, H or K fuck everything else)

also...

junkyards for spare parts pedals, linkage...

probably about... depending on engine B16/b18/K20... $2300-2500

i heard some junkyards in the states had full inventory lists on websites.. got any of those??

i cant wait.. !

edit : oh ya wat about issues bout loossing ur cruise control and air conditionning ( im guessing from not enough engine bay space) ??

Originally posted by romul@Sep 17 2005, 10:23 AM
i heard some junkyards in the states had full inventory lists on websites.. got any of those??

i cant wait.. !
[post=555848]Quoted post[/post]​

dude..How far from toronto are you... bahaa...Theres a nice junkyard around that area that might have evrything you need,...we went there about a month ago...I forgot what is called...I called my buddie to ask him but he was sleeping i guess so no answer...He knows exactly where the shit is....

come to buffalo..Buy my ls and my gsr tranny and call it a day...lol

Back