auto shifter locked after ecu swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

goose2

ok i finally have the dx running i did a dx to zc swap sohc.I had to swap out the ecu to a multi port zc ecu and now the new ecu is blinking 9 times no 1 cylinder position.and the auto tranny shifter will not move after its started.and man is it blowing out some white smoke.help please.

if your car is a 90-91(on the shifter there will be a key hole and words saying "shift lock release") then your ecu for the zc is problay a standard transmission ecu. if u r running auto trans you need a automatic ecu.
but if your car is a 88-89 i have no clue why it is locking.
if your car is a 90-91 try sticking a key down the "shift lock release"hole and try to drive it. good luck:)

Last edited:
well i took the pin off of the shifter switch and it works fine.ya its a 91.its still idleing high though.i have turned the dizzy all the way forward and turned the idle screw all the way in and it still is setting on 1700-1900 rpm at idle.

when i did my auto to standard tranny swap, my car ran like crap with the auto ecu and manual tranny. it idled high and went up and down between 1200 and 2500 rpm, again if you are running a auto trans you need a zc automatic tranny ecu, it may be hard to find. then your shifter should unlock normally.

when i did my auto to standard tranny swap, my car ran like crap with the auto ecu and manual tranny. it idled high and went up and down between 1200 and 2500 rpm, again if you are running a auto trans you need a zc automatic tranny ecu, it may be hard to find. then your shifter should unlock normally.
thanks for the heads up.i am on the search for the auto ecu.

do you have a DOHC zc or single cam ZC?

Who did your wiring? could be you have a wire reversed I have seen this happen alot to people who don't wire in there harnesses correctly. The smoke could be due to the CPS code you are throwing. If you wired the harness in correctly you shouldn't have any check engine lights on.

what distributer are you using?

7 wire round plug?
5 wire square plug?

If you have a DOHC Zc engine and using Si round plug 7 wire you will need this adapter.
ZCadpater.jpg

Last edited:
its a sohc.and i changed my square dx harness into a round si harness.5 to 7 with the 2 new wires from the ecu.i just need to find an automatic tranny ecu.a pm6,pr4 ect.obdo.

ok i bought a pg7 ecu and it runs great.but my automatic shifter still will not go out of park.and the ecu is blinking 19 times.lock up control solenoid valve a/b (a/t)

Back