Auto techs/people who work at dealerships

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by CiViC_SOHC@Jul 24 2005, 12:31 AM
get into body repair man..you will still love engines and shit but you might get sick of painting and stuff...I mean you could always be doing something unique with auto body...if you get into a custom shop or something..find a automotive career that you will never have to do the same thing like custom stuff...get into automotive paint if you are a hard worker...
[post=530331]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, I was in a auto body class at my last highschool for like a month before i had to move. It was pretty cool but didnt learn very much when I was there.

Do you know what the demand is for an auto body guy and what kinda money they make starting out on average?

I pay great attention to detail so painting/body repair might be something to look into.

see in bodywork you only get to do somthing different everyday if you work in a small shop where you follow a job all the way through. In larger shops where(where the $$$ is) You usualy get assigned 1 job, like a painter, frame puller, buffer, parts bolter on-er, ect ect ect. I am wondering myself how much i can make when i am fresh out also.

Well if I heard my auto body teacher correctly, he said that you start out at an hourly rate of pay. Then, when you have proven yourself, they start paying you for how many tasks you can complete. Like if you are replacing a fender and it normally takes 2hrs and you complete it in 1hr, you still get payed for 2hrs instead of 1hr.

Hope that makes sense.

Originally posted by phyregod@Jul 19 2005, 04:51 PM

F'n awesome. So a crapload of people are leaving earth. Better jobs for those of us who stay here! Cheaper real estate... I like being able to drive around, look at the country side, check out the mountans, go water skiing.. fuck space.

You know what, they should hook up all the people on welfare! go to space for fucking free bitches! Crime would go down! We might be able to put something nice in our cars without worrying about some dope head jacking it and selling it for crack. Hell, they'd jack the screws and windows and everything shiny out of their space stations and taxes would go back down. NICE.
[post=528659]Quoted post[/post]​

haha, best post ever! anyway, i'm a salesman, and i love my job. the schedule sucks sometimes, but i make good money. i definitely don't feel i'm stealing... let me rephrase that, i know i'm not stealing, because i never force anyone to sign 20 different documents, they do it because i do my job well and get them excited about the vehicle. i didn't force the guy to put 1500 down and pay 720 a month on a base model nissan titan, but i did my job and he saw that much value in it, in fact he thought he was getting the best deal of his life! and i sleep very well at night knowing that my 2-3 hours with him put a total of about 1500 dollars in my pocket. but sales isn't for everyone, not everyone has the right people skills, it's pretty much sink or swim, but give it a try, cuz i love it and still enjoy working on cars.

I'm surprised no ones said anything about automotive/mechanical engineering. Its not easy at all to get there tho.... the road actually sucks.

<--background...grew up doing cars...got old fast. Aircraft is where it's at..

Currently..

Do you like it where you work?
Yup

What was you starting salary?
$20 an hour start...now I'm $25 an hour, already grossed $48K's this year with alot of OT

How many hours per week do you normally work?
6.5 hours a day...get paid for 8

What are your main duties as a tech?

fix and repair helicopters...cars when they breakdown...pull over on the side of the road...aircraft can't just pull over if something goes wrong...

How hard was it to find a job after you graduated/got certified?

They will find you if you have an Airframe and Powerplant FAA licence...

Also, anybody that has first hand knowledge of this particular field can also share your opinions.

Cars suck, jets are cool...
get your basic A&P lic, go to Alaska ad make $30+ an hour...if your a fresh virgin to planes...School to get lic is around 2 years...or 1 year if you cram it. You can always do cars on the side to keep the car lover in ya...if you do it for a job..you will hate cars after a while.

just like any hobby, once you get a boss and start getting paid for said hobby then theres alot of pressure added and it quickly loses its fun factor.

that being said, if you can handle the pressure then its better to be bossed around doing something you enjoy then something you dont enjoy.

Originally posted by preluderjs@Jul 28 2005, 02:02 AM
I'm surprised no ones said anything about automotive/mechanical engineering. Its not easy at all to get there tho.... the road actually sucks.
[post=532227]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

If you want to get into the industry and enjoy it, don't even think about blue collar jobs. You'll always be shit on by someone higher up. Get into design, development, testing etc- that's where the fun stuff AND the pay is. You get real promotional opportunities, actually learn cool stuff all the time, and you're not stuck working 80 hour weeks just to make ends meet.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 29 2005, 05:03 PM-->
preluderjs
@Jul 28 2005, 02:02 AM

If you want to get into the industry and enjoy it, don't even think about blue collar jobs. You'll always be shit on by someone higher up. Get into design, development, testing etc- that's where the fun stuff AND the pay is. You get real promotional opportunities, actually learn cool stuff all the time, and you're not stuck working 80 hour weeks just to make ends meet.
[post=533092]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, I gotta agree, not only is it fun because you're not just fixing shit, you're helping developing technology in some type of way.... and there just happens to be decent money in that.

Calesta, i remember you saying you're an ME, what are you up to now?

still waiting to here more on automotive/mechanical engineering fields and how to get there.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 29 2005, 05:03 PM-->
preluderjs
@Jul 28 2005, 02:02 AM

[post=533092]Quoted post[/post]​

yea how would you get there? i was considering changin my major from Architecture to some ind of engineering where i can do car design or parts design. i think i would do good at it, cause i am always sketching my own car designs and stuff, and have good drafting and design skills. The only problem is i don't know where to start, adn dont even know who to ask.

Back