Auto to manual swap computer?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

when changing from an automatic to a manual transmission is a new computer or chip needed for the manual tranny?

by computer i assume you mean the ecu. and yes. the car will run will the auto ecu but wil run like shit. but you could modify the auto one to work fine.

i believe you just have to resolder some of it but im not sure if thats it, nor do i know exactly where must be resoldered.

Change the ECU..I just did a 5 speed swap to my brothers 95 EX and we couldn't take the key out/turn it all the way back when we shut the car off..it was looking for a "Park" signal

you have to ground the gear switch connector out so the car thinks its in park, so teh car will start and you can remove the keys.

Quoted post[/post]]
when changing from an automatic to a manual transmission is a new computer or chip needed for the manual tranny?

you need a ecu for a standard which matches the engine you plan on dropping into your ride.

b-series = 5-speed ecu for a b-series engine. (non-vtec pr4, p75) (vtec- p74)
d-series = 5 speed ecu for a d-series engine. (non vtec p06) (vtec p28)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

you need a ecu for a standard which matches the engine you plan on dropping into your ride.

b-series = 5-speed ecu for a b-series engine. (non-vtec pr4, p75) (vtec- p74)
d-series = 5 speed ecu for a d-series engine. (non vtec p06) (vtec p28)

considering the ecu's you listed also came as auto's, im going to be more specific

for OBD1 Manual ECU's

(PR4, P28, P30, P61, P72, P91, P08)
5spd = 000, 001, 002, 003, A00, A01, A02, C00, C01, C02, J00, J01, J02, G00, G01

So, it'll read 1xxxx - PR4 - A01 or 1xxxx - P08 - G01

Something along those lines will denote if its a manual or auto, if it has something other than the last three above, its more than likely not a manual ECU.

Back