Auto to manual swap on a 94 accord ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Skiefer

Hey, I found a really good deal on a 94 accord ex but it is an automatic. How hard is it to swap it to a manual, what all is needed, is it very expensive to get done? I was thinking about getting an h22 and tranny to swap in. If not the h22, then at least a manual. Does anyone live in or around louisville that would want to do the swap or help me out? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I've had my accord Ex for 2 years now and I've been wondering the same thing from day one, I was thinking a mean k20 from an RSX thou.

Last edited:
I have heard of putting a K20 in a civic, but never in an accord. That would be a unique swap there. The only thing I am wondering is, if I do a 5 speed swap, how the hell would I get the clutch pedal mounted and the stuff for it ran. I would probably end up having a shop do it for me, but I bet they would charge an arm and a leg. Do you know of any shops that would do it for a relative price? I can get a h22 the 5 spd tranny and the ecu for like 1900. I just gotta find someone to put it in for me. That't the only problem.

Hehehehe yeah I like the uniqueness of the idea, but as of now that's all it is, an idea. I'm afraid if I knew of a shop to do the swap for you it most likely won't help you as I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I worked in a GM dealership for 3 years and one thing I learned is that techs like to work on cars(unless they're working on Caddys!) outside the shop aswell, usually they have their own garage at home so if you know any techs then talk to them and see. If not make some new friends at the local dealership. Even if they can't do it they might be able to help you with tools that you may need for a weekend or stuff like that. Check junk yards too you might be able to find a wreck the you can get to create frankenstein. Spare clutch pedal and mounting and such, I find it's easier to figure out how to make it work by seeing how the manufacturer does it and duplicating it. Good Luck!

Last edited:
The swap is suppose to be very easy, apart from figuring out the wiring to make sure your backup lights come on when in reverse and the starter/clutch kill. I have read a few things on doing this and the wiring is explained in a helms manual, and the Accord already has the mounting hole for the clutch pedal. I'm doing the swap right now and can post an in depth analysis (with pictures) in a week or two when I'm done( would be done faster but still don't have the parts).

Matty49 said:
Hehehehe yeah I like the uniqueness of the idea, but as of now that's all it is, an idea. I'm afraid if I knew of a shop to do the swap for you it most likely won't help you as I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I worked in a GM dealership for 3 years and one thing I learned is that techs like to work on cars(unless they're working on Caddys!) outside the shop aswell, usually they have their own garage at home so if you know any techs then talk to them and see. If not make some new friends at the local dealership. Even if they can't do it they might be able to help you with tools that you may need for a weekend or stuff like that. Check junk yards too you might be able to find a wreck the you can get to create frankenstein. Spare clutch pedal and mounting and such, I find it's easier to figure out how to make it work by seeing how the manufacturer does it and duplicating it. Good Luck!

Well actually the idea's not totally unique, Hasport has already thought of it and they've already got a mount kit for it. They swapped a K24 from a TSX rather than a K20 though, but it was a fully functional swap into a 94 Accord with the 6-speed tranny and everything. If you're serious about dropping a K into your older Accord then you might want to get in contact with Hasport and see when their kit is going to be released.

Yes!

I am SO glad i found this thread. I have a 94 Accord EX that is currently an auto. It's in great condition and i LOVE it. I also have a totally beaten torn apart to nothing 94 Accord DX BUT it IS ia 5spd. I am currently trying to remove the transmission adn everything I will need to swap a 5spd into my EX. I really want to do it but keep changing my mind as I read and work on. I'm only 16 but I know quite a bit. but tanny swaps? are something i've never done. "Nickg4c" I see you are plaaning a very similar swap. I am wicked happy to find someone hoping on the same boat. I hope to get in touch with you and if you could do a write up I would be likely to even pay you $20 for it becasue I'm lost.
:DFrom what I've read you can still use the automatic ECU you'll just need to unplug the Automatic Tranny Computer, Wiring is fairly simple and is just the reverse lights and the cluth pedal ignition kill. I think there is some sort of speed sensor comming off the tranny as well. So far i have been just carlessly ripping apart my parts car witch isn't a great idea but it's the parts car who cares? My EX on the other hand I plan on taking extreme caution and laying everything out, pictures, notes sorting parts and bolts. I love my Ex but the automatic tranny i just can't stand

I am getting ready to purchase a 96 4dr Ex this week, and I have the same problem. I can't seem to find an ex in my area for sale with a manual so I am gonna have to do it myself. The problem I have is I know NOTHING about Honda's except for Dirtbikes. I have quite a mechanical inclination as I have done swaps in my ex wifes contour. Can you guys point me in the direction of some articles on the subject and wiring diagrams/mechanical schematics? I would much appreciate it. I expect to get started around the beginning of the new year. I am buying the car to help save money on gas for now (my daily driver now is a 98 Ford F150 super cab 4x4),and once it has began earning its keep, the extra money will be going into the "Accord Account", and when enough mulla is there the mods will begin. I will be starting with the tranny swap, then on to suspension, wheels/tires, body, turbo, etc. Anyway, sorry for the rant. But any info you guys can point me to, will be greatly appreciated

Back