Auto To Manual

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffsciv23

i just swapped my auto for a manual and i tried to put in my manual ECU and it wouldn't start but once i put the original one back in it started right up... the only thing is that i have a CEL and need to know how to get rid of it. what ECU would work right or what can i do to mine right now?

no i didn't put the clutch in because i didn't wire the starter cutout to it i just kept it on the brake.

thats what i was thinking, but the car trys to turn over but it just won't start. all the other lights work properly.

put in the clutch, and make it work, then see. what if your transmission is in gear?

no it's not in gear because it drives just fine with the auto ECU in. the only thing is it gives me a CEL. figure thats just because there are a few sensors unplugged. on the manual ECU there is one whole plug that doesn't get used, is that all auto trany sensors and gear position wires?
if the transmission was in gear when i was trying to start it would it still start? it might have been but i had the brake and clutch in when i tried. my shift linkage was kinda out of wack but i fixxed that yesterday so now i don't have to search for gears.
thanks for all the help guys, keep'em coming.
i'll swap out the ECU's again today to see if that was the prob

the old one is a P2P and the new one is a P2P, they are both for 96'-99 civic EX's w/VTEC. but the new one is like twice the size of the old one and has one less plug. when i get home i'm gonna mess with it some more.

how would i be able to convert the one i have? i know there is a way but i'm not very good with electrical shit.

alright i just got in from trying to get it started again and still nothing. out of gear, brake on, clutch in tries to turn over but doesn't start. so it's not the clutch switch because it wouildn't even try and start if that was it right? i was trying to figure out how to read the codes when i hooked up the manual ECU but couldn't find the wires. kinda no point reading the ones i get with the auto ECU because i'm pretty sure that has something to do with the manual transmission..lol.

make sure your ecu isnt out of a car w/anti theft i think they were 99 or 00 up...if it is then without the little box under the steering column it wont start...my suggestion is borrow a friends manual ecu bc it starts w/ ur auto ecu...and no it wont even turnover without a clutch switch...also ive heard there were some differences in those ecu's depending on the year, that may also cause that

Back