auto to manual?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twelve_hundred

i wanna drop a b series longblock into my 99 auto civic. i hear a range of conflicting information about this swap. some say that altogether its not worth it because itll cost too damn much for the labor of changing auto to manual transmission. others say that changing the trannie is no big deal. theres also the reliability factor? is a car that originally automatic going to break down on me in the near future just because i switched it to a manual trannie? or does it rely solely on the mechanic? ive only heard everyones speculations on the matter but im sure someone out there has done this and has some advice!! your help would be much appreciated!

Just do it properly, with someone who has had experience doing engine swaps, You'll have nothing to worry about. Most people change their tranny's when they swap in a new engine anyway

where are you located?....i did one recently..(i would do it for a reasonable price if you are somewhere close to Florida)
my car (96 integra)
i also did my cuz's car (96 civic hatch, had a B16A swap)

any shop sould be able to do it.

you will be fine, if it's done properly as in making sure all the bolts are tq-ed down, etc.

May I suggest swapping another complete motor in thier and selling your exhisting motor setup.

thanx. does anyone know any reputable shops around the 562 vicinity that are capable swapping without charging an arm and a leg just because i wanna also upgrade the auto trannie to manual?

Originally posted by twelve_hundred@Oct 4 2003, 04:34 AM
thanx. does anyone know any reputable shops around the 562 vicinity that are capable swapping without charging an arm and a leg just because i wanna also upgrade the auto trannie to manual?

where is 562?

My opinion is, it probably won't be worth the trouble. Just sell it for what its worth and buy an EG that's already stick. Oh and BTW autos go for more money in the US anyway. but shit if you wanna spend money just lowering the value of you car go ahead. Just my 2 cents

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 4 2003, 08:51 AM
My opinion is, it probably won't be worth the trouble. Just sell it for what its worth and buy an EG that's already stick. Oh and BTW autos go for more money in the US anyway. but shit if you wanna spend money just lowering the value of you car go ahead. Just my 2 cents

that is when you r buying a new car.......racers and guys like me who preffer the 5 speed, would pay more...

562. southern cali, los angeles area. basically as i was driving down to diego, my hx cvt trannie just stopped working. i had to tow my ride back to LA. my mechanic diagnosed the car and the computer says that i have a transaxle malfunction. hx auto civics have a rare cvt trannie that no other honda has. to fix my problem the old school way, i'd have to replace a transmission that costs $4800. the transmission cannot be rebuilt and there are no used ones because theyre so rare. im stoked that i might swap out the trannie cuz the damn countinuously variable transmission (cvt) bullshit was weird. the damn gears dont shift! i know that it would be more practical to purchase a reliable car rather than making the trannie conversion but dammit i love my little civic!

Back