auto to manual

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dragon2003

i have an 89 civic dx hatch, and i was wondering how i can to the auto to manual conversion, and i already know that most of you guys will tell me to just get a car that is already manual, but i want where is the fun in that. well if anyone can help me i will appreciate it.

you will need the pedal assembly out of any 88-91 civic, hatch, or CRX along with the clutch cable from those cars also...the cable from a 90-93 teg will work but i don't know about the pedals. don't forget the main part...the tranny. i wouldn't suggest doing this unless you were going to engine swap at the same time. wouldn't really be worth it IMO. when i did the auto to manual in my 4 door, i also went b16.

I did it to my `91 crx, wasn't real difficult. I used the pedal assembly out of a `88 crx and the tranny from a `88 crx. I got the clutch cable from napa for a `91 crx as well. Do a search on google on how to do it, I found a few different pages that told me how to do it.

It isnt that hard it is just alittle time consuming. When you go to put the manual pedals in take the air ducting out that is under the drivers side dash. There are like five bolts i think that need to be un done. I took the accelerator pedal off to make the job alittle easier. The hole for the clutch cable should already be there. It is going to be plugged with a rubber stopper. Make sure you have a few extensions and swivles too when you go to go remove and install the pedals. Rember to have patience though, if you start getting frustrated take a break. If your like me you will end up throwing a extension and spend 5 minutes looking for it. As far as the shifter goes there is going to be a hole cut out for it you will just need to tap two screw holes and bolt the shifter into position. Also there is a plug with just two thick black wires going into that plug needs to be jumped together in order to start your car. Like Cheese said there are a few websites out there with write ups on how to do the swap. Give me a minute and ill do some quick searching. If you have any questions feel free to ask and ill answer as best as I can. Best of luck to you.

Jeramy

EDIT:
This is the site I used for my swap.
http://hometown.aol.com/jrmupzaii/auto2man.html

I just finished the swap in my Integra along with in my CRX.

If you have a CRX then you do not need to drill the hole for the cltuch cable, however on a HB or Sedan 4G Civic you do.

You need:

Tranny
Pedals
Shift Linkages (Shift Lever)
Clutch Cable
Clutch Kit
Flywheel (if keeping the D series)
ECU
Gauge Cluster
Shift Knob and Boot

If you are doing the swap tyou have to rewire some shit as well... such as the reverse lights, nuetral safety switch and key release mechanism...

Ill check my CRX to actually find the colors for you if you like.

If you want to swap to a manual with the D series, go for it, it saves work down the road, dont listen to those who say it isnt worth it. But if you are swapping, Id wait til you had the motor.

Good Luck

Brian

thanx i would appreciate it, i have another question you wouldn't happen to know how to put an si cluster in a dx would you?

just make sure the Si cluster is from the same year as your car...

88-89 Si Cluster into 88-89 DX/Standard
90-91 Si cluster into 90-91 DX/Stnadard

Other wise you'll have fun re-pinning things...

just make sure the Si cluster is from the same year as your car...

88-89 Si Cluster into 88-89 DX/Standard
90-91 Si cluster into 90-91 DX/Stnadard

Other wise you'll have fun re-pinning things...

any si cluster will interchange with any year. an hf will not work, its too small. the part that will not interchange is the cover, but you can just use the one that you already have.

if for any reason the accual cluster wont fit, you might need to remove the mounting brackets on the dx/std and put them on the si cluster.

well not just any 88-91 civic/crx si cluster are interchangable, cause the cluster i have requires 3 plugs and my dx only has 2 plugs, so i am sure that an 88-89 si cluster will fit into an 88-89 dx/std and a 90-91 si cluster will fit into a 90-91 dx/std.

yeah i thought so, cause i tried to put it in one day and i noticed that the cluster needed 3 sets of plugs, but my dx only had 2, so i am guessing that the si cluster i have is from a 90-91 si, and plus i could make it fit but i don't feel like taking the dash off, and playing with that many wires.

where do the wires from the sensor that is on the clutch pedal run to? there is a black and blue/black wire that is connected to it, just need to know where to run them.

Back