Auto tranny questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mustninty20

I have a D16Z6 that I'm looking to swap into a 92 DX auto and want to keep it auto. Can I use any auto trans fom a 92-95 civic? Also can I just use any D16Z6 wiring harness or do I need a harness from a car that was auto?

the z6 is ,vetc is it not ?? you will have to wire in the vtec on it,but if its not vtec you'll be fine, the tranny will bolt up fine , you should have no problems on that at all, just make sure you put the drive plate on the z6 off your old motor... and those bolts are lots of fun to get off, you'll probably need a good impact gun...if the z6 was and auto you don't need to swap the drive plate,,,, just use the one that should be on it... good luck ...

Last edited:
I know I'm goona sound stupid here, but what are drive plates? The D16 motor I bought was a manual, i'm in the process now of trying to find an auto tranny and a ECU, from researching it looks like a p28-a52 is what I need. The D16 came with the stock manual wiring harness which I think will work with an auto trans???? dont know if theres a difference betweenthe harness on an EX manaul and an EX automatic.

okay, the drive plate is a nearly flat round piece that is on the motor, a manual has a flywheel that the clutch/ pressure plate attaches to the crank, on an automatic the drive plate mounts to the crank on the rear of the motor, then the tranny has a torque converter that sides onto the splines of the tranny, it has ten bolt hole on it that the drive plate bolts to , thats how it all goes together, as far as the wires , on either a manual or an auto the harness sound have a green and a yellow wire, they should go back together find.. I 'm pretty sure they are going to be the same , I took a manual harness and put on my wifes 91 hatch auto when I did her swap, and it does great ....

In my wifes car I ended up changing the motor and tranny, be cause they went bad and swapped them with jdm tranny and jdm sohc zc , nothing to special and it is an auto, I had a sweet 91 hatch with a dohc zc swap , 7lbs flywheel, mild cams, chipped ecu ,and a few aother goodies, but I traded it for a crx with a b16a vtec, and I love it, I still have some work to do to it but its coming along.... are you planning on a build or just a daily driver ???

ok i got a 92 dx auto hatch that im puttin a 2000 ls swap.... i need info for an auto to manual swap. there is some sort of plate needed for the shifter?
ps if it helps the stock tranny in the hatch is still good if you,re still looking for one

^
you my friend have a whole differant ball game .. you need to find a 92 hatch five speed first and get all the pedal assembly, shift linkage, shifter, out of it or buy it all from your local junk yard or even ebay, then you can start your swap from there, keep in mind that you will need to do some wiring since your going from obo1 to obd2... good luck ... you can go int a google search to fine info on that kinda swap or at least similar ...

I'll have an auto trans forsale soon from a '98 d16 if that'll work. PM me.

Back