1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

auto transmission problems

Discussion in 'Accord' started by mr.mugato, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mr.mugato

mr.mugato new and confused

Sorry noob here, I found a 2000 accord(automatic) on craigslist that i want to buy but it says the "TRANSMISSION IS STARTING TO GO OUT" does that mean i will have to replace the tranny or can it be repaired?

2. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

It would probably be cheaper to just replace it than have it rebuilt. One thing to consider though, if the car's only a 2000 model and the tranny is crapping out already the car was probably abused. I'd skip it and look for another one...

3. mr.mugato

but its only got 96k on it, and its auto so i don't think it could have been abused that much

4. BrutalB83

Then why is the transmission crapping out? Hondas aren't really known for blown transmissions around 100k miles...

5. BrutalB83

And how does the fact that it only has 96k miles on it tell you that it hasn't been abused? A car could have 50k miles on it and the tranny could crap out on you if they drove it hard and didn't change the tranny fluid.

My mom drives a 99 EX sedan with lots more miles on it than this one has and that car has never had any transmission problems whatsoever...

6. mr.mugato

well its auto, so i just assumed, but lets say they didn't change the tranny fluid for a while, how bad would that mess it up?

7. skittz87

skittz87 skittlez

almost the same as not changin the oil, keep lookin dont settle for something thats questionable.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted