Auto VS Manual ECU

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
ok, i have a long running debate with my friend regardin auto vs manual ecu's...
i have read on here to use the computer that goes with your tranny and relayed this information to him

but he claims that you can use an auto computer
he claims his friend is running a P13 AT on a 5 speed H22 swap in an accord...

so my question is...
WHAT is the diffrence?
i have searched and found some info...
for example there are diffrent jumpers? or whatever in a P28 that you would remove to make it a manual computer... but what do they do?

does an auto computer make the motor not reach its full potential?
i just don't understand how they differ and i really need a solid answer to prove my theory...

any help?

auto ECUs check for auto trans lockup solenoid.
on manual cars, they will throw a code 19 when they fail to find it.
With a code, the ECU gets "dumbed down" and it will generally pull timing and run in a more conservative manner. I say "generally" because I have not specifically dissected the P13 code to find out what the error handling procedure is like.

You can convert P13 from auto to manual by moving configuration jumper resistors.

I converted a pm7 ecu myself, took all of ten mins, works great. There is a writeup on pgmfi.org on how to do it.

can the ecu go the other way? i have an AT, can it get a MT ECU for my lsvtec and still run properly? or do i need a AT ECU?

it can be done, but i don't know of anyone who has.
its kinda pointless- manual ecus go for more cash than auto ones (supply and demand). you can make a profit off selling your manual and buying an auto, for sure.

Ya, I took an auto pm7 and made it a manual pm7. Its real easy and you dont need much electrical knowledge to do it, a pair of wire cutters and solder in one wire. As long as you can do it to the ecu you have.

Back