Autocross

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thanks Chaz for the info ill check out the site. Good luck today.

Wow ill be entering my first Autocross event to next sunday on the 7th in Florence i have read this advice do they let walk the course through 2 to 3 times or ride through 2 to 3 times

Yup, I know all about that, I used to ride track on my Kx 80. You have to ride at the speed you're comfortable with. You might have people all around you jumping all the big stuff, but if you're not comfortable with it then don't do it. You can't half ass a double or triple, you either commit to it or you don't.

Ive been racing motocross since I could ride a bicycle and that is what my dad has always told me, being consistent wins more races than riding over your head. :thumbsup:

tire pressure is a major deal , try to find somone thats running the same tires and ask what there running, once you get that down you can feel the rear of the car rotating better. You will be able to hit corners way faster and you want to brake before you get in a turn and always look ahead . The best thing is to ask a one of the best guys out there to ride with them its pretty crazy. Hope this helps

Oh my god today was so much fun.

I headed down to Bremerton around 9:00am with my friend. Got there and walked around and looked at cars and watched the morning runs. There were approximately 300 cars entered. The morning runs didn't get over until about 4:00-5:00ish, so I got tons of time to watch other people make passes around the course. Got to walk the track twice to get a good idea of the layout of the course.

My first run, I ran with an instructor in the car. I spun out once going through the tighter of the slalom sections. I didn't hit any cones though. The instructor told me that I did really well considering that was my first pass ever.

Second pass I ran by myself, I made it through the first 3/4 of the track quickly, but once again I got a little too aggressive in a slalom section and spun out. Didn't hit any cones though.

Third pass I made it through cleanly and ran it in 84 seconds (the fastest cars out of all the groups were turning about 65 seconds).

Overall it was an awesome experience, I learned how to better control my car and I met some really cool people.

I was very happy with the way my suspension performed. It stayed quite flat around turns. Only problem I had was the two spin outs and that was mainly due to my turning and trying to brake at the same time.

Next time you will have to bring someone with you so they can take pictures.

I did...I mentioned taking my friend with up there somewhere. I'm not sure what all he took for pictures with my camera. It's charging right now, I'll upload them to my photobucket when it's charged.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Since he went a little camera happy earlier in the day the battery was dead by the time I made my runs : /

Wow good job bro, that seems like a very good time, but hey a first time is a first time. I hope you continue to enter and hopefully win some. Id love to enter one myself. Glad to hear you had fun, no sence doing it if you didnt.:)

Whats autox consisting of? a lot of handling and drifting or what? It really sounds interesting to me because I feel like I drive to work autox sometimes taking corners quicker and tighter to get a nice slingshot out of them and stuff?

Whats autox consisting of? a lot of handling and drifting or what? It really sounds interesting to me because I feel like I drive to work autox sometimes taking corners quicker and tighter to get a nice slingshot out of them and stuff?

Youtube it. Lots of videos on there, even instructional ones.

I was very happy with the way my suspension performed. It stayed quite flat around turns. Only problem I had was the two spin outs and that was mainly due to my turning and trying to brake at the same time.

with my P2's the back would kick out if i turned suddenly, those were a tad stiffer than your P1s

So I'm wondering if there's anything else I should do to my car suspension wise if I'm going to be doing autoX's once a month if not more frequently?

My other friend is supposed to be going along with me in October. He has a nice video camera that he's going to bring along.

only thing i could think of at the moment is stickier tires on a seperate set of lighter wheels just for AutoX

WOW autocross. Giving you a heads up. I run my Cr-x in autox and always top 7 in raw times. The trick with the Hondas is to maintain your speed. Right now I am running with SHOT suspension and looking for new adjustable suspension but is hard to do with a honda. Falken Azenis tires (Wear rating is 200). We have small cars which handling is nice for us and we make up time in the corners but lose is on the straights. I recommend a good suspension and have about 2degrees camber on the front for handling, and try to get Falken Azenis. Mine were $93 a tire on tires.com. they are 205/40/16 but that will all depend on the tires and stuff you have. I spent $1000 on rims and tires just for racing. You can do little things to your motor to help but really, you need throttle control. Most kids are gas smashers and let there tires spin which loses you time. So don't slam on the gas peddle. Brakes are improtant as well. We can brake much later but dont brake hard and turn at the same time because you will lose the rear end of the car. Brakes and handling are the most important thing is autox. I just took 2nd in my last autox this past sunday against 34 cars. OOO here is a tip I just thought of, when racing, never push the clutch in unless you are shifting. I recommend you shift in second and stay there unless you will be hitting 70mph or more. I tack in second instead of shifting if a turn is coming because you lose time shifting and the have to down shift again. Give me a heads up if you want more specific tips in autox. I can help.

you can check out the autox events I have been in by going to google and typing in, bismarck autocross and click the badlands scca site and it will bring you the events to click on and see the times. this past one wont be up till next week. it should be the first link

No I still don't have one yet. Will it make much of a difference?

I was checking these out, Password:JDM Rear Trailer Arm Spherical Bearing Kit | JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM

It'd probably be good to get a front and rear camber kit here soon too.

WOW autocross. Giving you a heads up. I run my Cr-x in autox and always top 7 in raw times. The trick with the Hondas is to maintain your speed. Right now I am running with SHOT suspension and looking for new adjustable suspension but is hard to do with a honda. Falken Azenis tires (Wear rating is 200). We have small cars which handling is nice for us and we make up time in the corners but lose is on the straights. I recommend a good suspension and have about 2degrees camber on the front for handling, and try to get Falken Azenis. Mine were $93 a tire on tires.com. they are 205/40/16 but that will all depend on the tires and stuff you have. I spent $1000 on rims and tires just for racing. You can do little things to your motor to help but really, you need throttle control. Most kids are gas smashers and let there tires spin which loses you time. So don't slam on the gas peddle. Brakes are improtant as well. We can brake much later but dont brake hard and turn at the same time because you will lose the rear end of the car. Brakes and handling are the most important thing is autox. I just took 2nd in my last autox this past sunday against 34 cars. OOO here is a tip I just thought of, when racing, never push the clutch in unless you are shifting. I recommend you shift in second and stay there unless you will be hitting 70mph or more. I tack in second instead of shifting if a turn is coming because you lose time shifting and the have to down shift again. Give me a heads up if you want more specific tips in autox. I can help.

I learned the hard way about that with my two spins lol.

Yea I didn't get out of second gear for the whole course. Since I have a DX my gearing is kinda tall so it doesn't pull great, but it wasn't bad. I had plenty of power for my first time, I'm sure as I get faster I'll want more, but having less teaches me car control instead of trying to just power through everything.

Last edited:
No I still don't have one yet. Will it make much of a difference?

when i put the Spoon rear strut bar on my EG it made the rear feel a little tighter.. i'm sure the passwordjdm solid piece will stiffen it up quite a bit in back...

Back