Autocross

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

when i put the Spoon rear strut bar on my EG it made the rear feel a little tighter.. i'm sure the passwordjdm solid piece will stiffen it up quite a bit in back...

I'm waiting to see if Benen will ever release their rear strut bar. PasswordJDM makes pretty good stuff for the most part generally though. I'm thinking about buying their smaller battery holder as well. Drop a few pounds, and it looks pretty cool too.

Oh, and what would you guys recommend for tires? I'm going to keep looking for some VX rims or some HX rims. Some Volks would be fap fap fap, but god those are expensive.

UMMM wow, if you by tires now is the time to do it on the site that autox 89 dx posted. Those puppies are cheap.

get the potenzas. the azenis will be useless after a few events.

No, those falkens will last a good 2 years. 1 1/2 if you keep them on for daily drivers and rotate them but a good 2 to 3 years if just kept for Autox. I change mine out at the event so they are not driven on the road. If you camber and toe are good on all four tires, the tires will last for some time. Those Potenza's are ok but you will get the same results as the Azenis for a much cheaper price.

how to be an autox star:

• make sure you have the proper gear. ie, helmet, tape/shoe polish for numbers, tools, etc.
  • strip your car at home. take out floor mats, radio faces, unnecessary stuff from the glove box, the ashtray full of change, etc etc
  • check your air pressure. generally, you'll want to run about 2-3 psi more up front than you do on the street to deflect tire roll over.
  • walk the course ALONE. don't go with anyone else who will talk and distract you. and don't just walk it... sit and look at each gate, elevation changes that will unload your suspension, and big cracks/sand/etc.
  • go 80% round 1. sitting out isn't going to get you to learn it. you can look at the thing all you want, but you won't learn anything until you drive it. pussy footing it does nothing for you in terms of learning how fast you can go into a turn. at the same time, you don't know what 100% is yet. So, go med-hi. the objective of run one is to take what you learned from the walk into driving perspective, and to stay on course. After round 1, you can see better where you can go in hotter, go wider, or cut in thinner. round 2 perfects that. round 3 picks up a few more 10ths somewhere. round 4, you usually fuck up because you try to hard for that last 10th. lol
  • drive with 2 hands on the wheel at all times. you'll probably shift once from 1st to 2nd and that's about it.
  • keep a prejudicial view on the corner workers to be sure you are safe and the track is clear.
  • look 2 gates ahead. autox is all about preparing 2 turns ahead while your in the one you already prepped for.
  • be smoothe. 0%-> 100% throttle gets you know where. ease on through the corner and don't mash it once you're out. if you're making any power at all, you'll just light up. ease in, keep the tires from spinning as much as you can.
  • learn to trail brake to get rotation. (left foot drag on brake while on the throttle at corner entry)
  • find the fastest guy in the stockest fwd car and go for a ride with him in his car at the end. you'll learn more from that 60 seconds watching his hands and feet and body movements than i could ever type on a forum. For us locals, that guy was Chip. steve/clayton/e/etc can all vouch for the guy. 50-odd year old guy in a stock integra gs whooping on everything, even spanked some cars in calsses well above his own. Then, he got an itr :D lol

That's some good advice B, thanks.

I did most of what you suggested. Before I drove down there I took out my sub and cardboard cover thing that goes on top of the spare.

I took the spare, jack, and floormats out once I got down there.

The track walk I could have focused more on the little things like you mentioned. I walked it with an two different experienced drivers, one was kinda talking to himself about ways to drive around the course so I listened in lol. The other was the guy my friend rode with, so he had a few pointers.

The first run I made, I had an instructor ride along with me, I ran about 80% but the one slalom I drove in a little too deep towards the end and tried braking and turning, didn't work too well, spun out lol. The instructor told me I did a really good job for my first time though, I had good levels of aggression and other than the spin I did well.

I got to ride with the instructor between my first and second run. He was driving an older Porsche 911, it was a cool experience. Obviously the run didn't apply to the way I would drive the course since it's a completely different car. But it was still interesting to see how a better driver handled the course.

The second run was pretty similar to the first. I made it a few sections past where I spun and the made the same dumb mistake in a slalom section a little faster than the first one I spun in.

The third run I ran about 80%, the places I had spun previously I took probably a little slower than I should have, but I wanted to avoid spinning.

go with HX's (14's) and some Azenis.. you'll be happy

tire selection is gonna be smaller with the 13's too

Just got off the phone with the guy. I'm meeting him tomorrow and picking them up for $150 :D

Pretty good deal I think? Idk still have to get tires for them, but they're nice and light. I'm sure if I do some rim work like eg6sir has done they'll look really nice.

Back