automatic door locks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

There are two wires on my alarm green, and blue, for the door lock outputs. While locking the green wire is (-), and the blue is (+). While unlocking the green is (+) and the blue is (-). my solenoids both have a blue and green wire.

now heres the prob.

the outputs from the alarm ar LOW voltage outputs, and BARELY put out 1 volt (both the blue and green wire). I have come up with a relay setup that uses four relays to operate the solinoids using 12 volts. I was just curious, is there another way to make the soilenoids operate without using relays? but seeing as how they put out less than a volt, i dont think its possible. If i were to do that, i would probably have to use capacitors, and i dont feel like designing the system, etc.

so relays, is what I have come up with so far.

s3ff7ae5c6de07.jpg

s3ff7aeb3de2cd.jpg

this works.. you guys have anyother ideas? How do the "pro's" do it at the shop? or do they use relays as well?

Which alarm do you have? I just did mine recently, and those are low level trigger switches to begin with. I think you're trying to rewire a system that is already in place. All I had to do was tap into the trigger inputs in the main harness running the length of the car. My harness was under the carpet to the left of my driver's seat. It's wrapped in a hard plastic case.

I bought a guide off of Ebay that was somewhat helpful. I'll see if I can find the color of the wires a little bit later.

no no... i dont have power locks AT ALL... i put in the solenoids.

today i went out and bought the relays, and wired them up. they work fine, XCEPT for one thing, the relays dont always CLOSE. they stayed open, and burned out my drivers side solenoid, so now, i got NO power on that side..,,DAMIT. i need more suggestions.

So the relay kept sending power to the solenoids? That sucks man. I see what you're saying now. Did you buy a high quality relay? I've never heard of that happening. I wonder if it is a voltage issue, or if you need a special kind of relay.

I was lucky that I already had the power locks.

Does the solenoid have a positive and negative side that can be switched. By this I mean, can a relay with a positive and negative output be used to push or pull the solenoid. I would think that one relay per side would be fine for opening and closing the door locks. Flip the switch on either side and let it lock and unlock both sides.
I don't really know what you're dealing with, as I have never fucked with a lock solenoid.

I just figured that since the alarm sends a positive signal to unlock and negative to lock, that you could send both inputs to the relay, and have the output determined by the input. It can get complicated for sure.

The alarm has two wires, a blue one, and a green one... each wire SWITCHES polarity depending on wether or not the car is locking or unlocking.

the green wire is (-) while locking, and (+) while unlocking
the blue wire is (+) while locking, and (-) while unlocking

thats why i need to use FOUR relays, in order to switch the polarity going to the green and blue wires from the solenoid.

That's alot of relays, try using a fuse maybe to keep it from burning out.

You have to wire up the relays for reverse polarity when doing aftermarket doorlock actuators. It takes two relays, single pole double throw to be exact. On the relays the terminals are usually labeled as so; 85, 86, 87, 87a, and 30. On both relays 85 and 87 go to 12volts fused, and on both relays 87a go to ground, that would leave you with 86 on both relays and 30. 86 on one relay will go to either blue or green and vice versa on 86 at the other relay, therefore leaving you with 30 on both relays which would go to your doorlock actuators or solenoids.

Go to your local shop where you get your other alarm parts and ask for a DEI 451M. They are made for doorlocks, and are actually 2 relays in one. If you need one i have about 35 in my toolbox, i will be glad to get you one super cheap. If you need any more help let me know.

obie2102@zoomtown.com

P.S. if anyone else needs one just let me know as well.

If you get the 451M the wires go like this...

Purple-12V
Blue and green are your lock/unlock wires (I think green is lock, and blue is unlock)
White and Brown-ground
Small green wire goes to green wire from alarm
Small blue wire goes to blue wire from alarm
Small red wire goes to 12V

All you have to do is run how ever many solenoids you have to the 451M's green and blue wires and that's it.

Originally posted by SIRH22@Jan 14 2004, 11:18 PM
You have to wire up the relays for reverse polarity when doing aftermarket doorlock actuators. It takes two relays, single pole double throw to be exact. On the relays the terminals are usually labeled as so; 85, 86, 87, 87a, and 30. On both relays 85 and 87 go to 12volts fused, and on both relays 87a go to ground, that would leave you with 86 on both relays and 30. 86 on one relay will go to either blue or green and vice versa on 86 at the other relay, therefore leaving you with 30 on both relays which would go to your doorlock actuators or solenoids.

theses are exactly the relays i have... i will be trying this tomarro. thanx...

Back