automatic racing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

just asking for the most effective way to drag race an automatic a friend of mine has an automatic and is taking it to the street car night at the drag strip for the first time and asked me and i had an idea but didnt really exactly know

get a stall if he wants to be competitive.. honda's autos suck..

But, drop it in 1, roll up, launch and hold it till it feels like its not going any faster, tap it up, then go till it doesn't seem any faster, tap it up again. Dont slam it up, b/c you'll go through all the gears and possible either hit drive or go right to nuetral (not a good idea).

I have an auto, wish I had a stick... but you live with it you know... I don't drag that much so it really doesn't matter... thats where it really counts... but anyway.

What I'm saying might be what dome is saying, I don't quite get his description... if it is, my fault! Anyway, I have an auto 00 ex... so this works for that car. I have 2, d3, and d4... start in d3... this allows you to start in 1st. if you start with the shifter in 2, you'll have no power! :p Run through up to redline, downshift into 2, this forces the shift into 2, run it through to the top in second, and then up shift into d3, again run it through, then into d4. I get really good results like that, and honestly from racing stick ex's I can say it seems your biggest loss then is just the added weight of the transmission (no flames please ;) ).

your loss is b/c the gearing sucks. and the amount of power that is loss through the Honda auto's, is rediculous.

Yes, that is what i'm saying, i think.. i need to see a pic of an auto to know.. i've never seen an auto civic in person.

the best way to race with an automatic is to just do bracket racing
work on your reaction time and launch consistancy
get it down solid and you will kick ass every time

bracket racing is not about speed (you can run 18's and kick ass at it)
as long as your times are consistant you will win

One tip about auto racing.
Don't.
I just killed my tranny.
$1200 to fix.
No more neutral dropping for me.

and if you have to know.
hold brakes in and hit gas until car wants to creep forward
hold there till start of race
when green or hands drop
let off brake and floor it

worked for me

neutral dropping is fucking gay.. you're NOT suppose to do that.. wanna know why domestics can rev with an auto? stall and trans brake..

why does honda autos have d1-d4? My sol is an auto and i never use 1-3. if you shift from each drive doesnt that hurt the tranny? also what does a torque converter do?

brake torquing is the only way to try to race an auto...period.

brake torquing in an LS1 = heaven :)

Originally posted by comutek@Jul 15 2003, 02:09 AM
brake torquing is the only way to try to race an auto...period.

brake torquing in an LS1 = heaven :)

you can't brake torque with FWD cars

Uh, yes you can. One foot on the brake, one on the gas, let go of brake. It doesn't matter which wheels are driven.

Originally posted by dveit@Jul 22 2003, 02:11 AM
Yeah, but you get nothing near the effect as if you were to brake tq a RWD car.

You get the exact same effect. You're pre-loading the torque converter to get the best launch possible, and when you release the brake, you start the car moving with the engine already in the power band where your torque converter's stall speed is. Brake torquing has nothing to do with driveline setup. It's just a launch technique used with an automatic transmission.

Your actual launch may not be as good as RWD, but that has nothing to do with tha fact that you're using a brake torque launch.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 22 2003, 12:31 PM
You get the exact same effect. You're pre-loading the torque converter to get the best launch possible, and when you release the brake, you start the car moving with the engine already in the power band where your torque converter's stall speed is. Brake torquing has nothing to do with driveline setup. It's just a launch technique used with an automatic transmission.

Your actual launch may not be as good as RWD, but that has nothing to do with tha fact that you're using a brake torque launch.

Ok, I feel pretty dumb, but thanks for clearing that up. I guess I shouldn't listen to my moron friends anymore.

Back