1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic transmission slipping??

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by wagon, Apr 10, 2009.

1. wagon

wagon New Member

Sorry to start off my stay here with a question, but here goes...

I'm working with a 95 accord 4-cylinder that has a 97 accord 4-cylinder engine and transmission (automatic). I spent the evening replacing the driver's side CV shaft and the lower ball joint. On the ride back home from where I was doing the work, I noticed that the shifts were starting to get really soft... then, there would be a gap between shifts when the RPM's just climbed, but the shift was delayed for a second... by the time I got home, it got to a point where it's uncertain whether or not the car will make the attempted shift, and the RPM climbing/lack of acceleration thing kicks in during general acceleration, climbing hills, etc... I get the strong feeling that I'm fucked.

Before today, the shifts were a bit rough or abrupt, but it was a really positive engagement... night and day difference between yesterday (before breaking the ball joint, and in the process, the CV shaft too) and after working on the car...

I reused the transmission fluid that I took out while doing the work today, and it was dark brown... but this is, of course, the same transmission fluid that was in there and working fine only a day before.

What could I have done in the process of replacing the CV shaft that could cause this? Any idea what the situation likely is as of right now?

I know nobody here's got magic psychic abilities, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. ihatemyprelude

ihatemyprelude New Member

sounds like your low on tranny fluid, when you pull a CV and do not put the new one back in right it will leak. i would check your tranny fluid before driving again... put the car on a level surface and idle it to check that. If that dose not fix stuff i would take the car to a shop and have them flush your transmition you never get all the fuild out of a automatic by taking the pan off and sometimes that makes matters worse. I change the tranny fluid in my girls car every 12k miles, and in mine every 20k or so.

3. wagon

wagon New Member

Transmission fluid replaced, levels double-checked... problem as bad as ever :(

Thanks for the advice, though...

4. ihatemyprelude

ihatemyprelude New Member

go to a tranny shop and have them look at it, no one here is good with trannys i bet. A flush will cure alot of problems, but before you go to a tranny shop check some of the lines on your tranny there should be a vac line that looks clear by the back of the tranny. check for clogs if so replace it dont clean it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted