Automatic Transmission TUNING?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I didnt say that.

This shop MWR tunes Celica's and Matrix's. They took the 6speed GTS trans out and are now running a GT auto box with just a Tq converter. They run faster more consistant times now. 475whp on the stock trans w/just a tq converter.....

Not saying autos are best. For a budget build or typical street car, sure the manual is a LOT easier to make power with and get it to the ground. But there is no reason you cant keep your auto and have fun!!

That's what I was trying to say, yeah. Still though, a lot of the Honda automatics are 4-speed as opposed to the manual version's 5, so bit of a disadvantage there as well...

The main reason for using an auto tranny is there is no way in hell you can shift a manual as fast as an auto shifts, that and it does help to run more consistent times, but a Honda auto tranny is nothing like a GM or Ford that is build for high performance, not economy and comfort.

I feel its the opposite Brutal. My matrix is even worse off, its a 3 speed with a 4th gear OD. When I would drag race, I only used the 3 speeds, they get me up to 110. Less shifting is less time wasted not accelerating. If the tranny is dogging the car down though with the tall gearing then thats obviously a set back. I was running a smaller turbo which gave me great tq down low with OK top end. The car pulled very hard but steady throughout each gear.

Like Ive said in other auto threads, I havent played with a Honda auto or even drove one. So I cant say if my Matrix things can relate or not. The gearing could be totally F'd on the Honda and just make the car a dog down low. I guess your setup will really determine how it reacts with an auto. A big ass turbo that spools late will prolly run like ass on the street with an auto.

The main reason for using an auto tranny is there is no way in hell you can shift a manual as fast as an auto shifts, that and it does help to run more consistent times, but a Honda auto tranny is nothing like a GM or Ford that is build for high performance, not economy and comfort.

Right, that's the main thing. They're just not built to handle a lot of power going through them. They work great for an essentially stock engine, but they tend to break under boost. The clutch packs just aren't that strong.

I feel its the opposite Brutal. My matrix is even worse off, its a 3 speed with a 4th gear OD. When I would drag race, I only used the 3 speeds, they get me up to 110. Less shifting is less time wasted not accelerating. If the tranny is dogging the car down though with the tall gearing then thats obviously a set back. I was running a smaller turbo which gave me great tq down low with OK top end. The car pulled very hard but steady throughout each gear.

Like Ive said in other auto threads, I havent played with a Honda auto or even drove one. So I cant say if my Matrix things can relate or not. The gearing could be totally F'd on the Honda and just make the car a dog down low. I guess your setup will really determine how it reacts with an auto. A big ass turbo that spools late will prolly run like ass on the street with an auto.

Yeah, good point on the "less shifting = less time wasted" thing.

Oh, and I thought you used to have a turbo slush-box Accord? Somebody around here did; I thought it was you. Huh, wierd... :shrug2:

Back