Autometer Sport Comp 5" tach Surging above 5k rpms

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LSTurboCivic4DR

Hey I have a 89 Civic LX with a 2000 b18b and it is all running off a 90 integra LS PR4 ECU and wire harness. I was having troubles with the factory tach surging above 5k rps, like it would just bounce up real fast! So i figered fuck it, I would just install a nice sport comp 5 inch unit and that would take care of it, well i hooked it up to my MSD box, and I am still having the same problem, it sux because when it surges into the higher RPM's, it causes the shift light to come on and i am only at like 5500! If anyone has any ideas let me know, Thanks, Frank.

I have double checked everything in hhokup, it is very easy, power, ground, illumination, and the tach signal wire goes to my MSD box tach output signal, it work fine in normal conditions. I think that this dizzy that you speak off is what it is. Can you please tell me what you mean by the dizzy?!?!?!? I do not know what this is! I think that if it a source for tach singnal it may be it because as I stated the problem is happening on my factory tach in the gauge cluster also. Thanks alot for your help man! Frank.

Dizzy=Distributor.

Take the cap off of your distributor. The two main wires that attach to the coil tend to come loose. If you have a bad connection at all, high rpm's will show fluxuation in the tach reading. I went through this problem before. Also make sure that your rotor is solid. Alot of them break loose from the metal insert that clamps to the dizzy shaft. Start there. Almost positive it is one or the other or both.

Back