awd center diff

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

hey guys. i was thinking about the awd integra hondatuning magazine is working on and thought of a way to make a purpose built awd system. i'm trying to figure out, because of the b-series motors turns opposite directions, etc. you cant use a regular front engine/awd tranny, and looking at the regular trannies it seems impossible to put in a center diff(i am thinking by means of modifying the transmission/front diff housing). because of this, is it possible to just use a rigid connection? i am concerned with differating speeds in the front and rear during cornering. thanx.

Originally posted by convertedstangbanger@Dec 21 2003, 06:29 PM
thats the ONLY remote way to have a modern AWD civic.

? i was talking about a integra. there is already a awd civic; its a wagon.

civics and integras share VERY similar chassis

for the most part if something works on an integra it will work on a civic
(some modification may be nedded... but they are based off the same chasis)

but, they are different lengths. a driveshaft would not be swapable from one car to the other

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 21 2003, 07:45 PM
but, they are different lengths. a driveshaft would not be swapable from one car to the other

(some modification may be nedded... but they are based off the same chasis)

:)

ok i know now that a "rigid" center differential(finally found something on the internet; searching for days) is not good for road. i also noticed many of the high perfomance cars use a normally-rear setup(skyline) or have most of torque bias towards rear(~65%) when using limited-slip center diffs, which are usually viscous or multi-plate clutch types. do you guys know if a helical(like a torsen) will work good as a center deff? the only car i know that uses a helical ls center diff is the audi quattro. and i dont know much about the characteristics of this car.

Back