AWD Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamedillusions

So I was thinking... My understanding is the honda crv and civic have the same chasse is this correct. And if so how hard would it be to make an awd civic with the drive tran from a crv. Now if that is possibe is there a 5 speed tranny for the Crv if not who could make a five speed tranny that would hook up to an awd drive tran. I know that the axles would need to be replaced with ones that are stronger............. Can any one help.... Possble new project to my 98 4 door Civic EX

i spoke with a guy about doing this exact... whatever you wanna call it to a 96 2door ex, he quoted me about 10 grand for labor and fabrication alone... there is a lot of work involved

the crv tranny needs to be used. its gearing sucks.
it adds 800-900 lbs to your car.
its a lot of loot.

its not worth it

i dont think the benefits would outweigh... well .. the weight to begin with :)

Imagine have a fully built B20 Vtech with a gsr Head Fully rebuilt for a drag 4 turbo in the engine bay. That combantion would have too much touqe and hp to lock up the wheels at a high rpm..... Now being able to do what a tsi could do with awd would be a great acomplishment. I may be making a few phone calls to see if I can get some sponser to pay for some of the cost and maybe have a full article in a mag. coviering the step by step how to convert to awd.

plan on rebuilding pretty much every part of the drivetrain from the CRV ... that thing isnt meant to handle any kind of power... its not an offroad vehicle with tons of torque or anything ... its a freakin minivan-based microSUV designed to do little more than drop the kids off at school and pick up groceries

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Oct 7 2002, 08:44 PM
plan on rebuilding pretty much every part of the drivetrain from the CRV ... that thing isnt meant to handle any kind of power... its not an offroad vehicle with tons of torque or anything ... its a freakin minivan-based microSUV designed to do little more than drop the kids off at school and pick up groceries

:werd: and maybe handle a few snow flakes

Originally posted by dreamedillusions@Oct 7 2002, 07:41 PM
Imagine have a fully built B20 Vtech with a gsr Head Fully rebuilt for a drag 4 turbo in the engine bay. That

drag 4 turbo? lmao

uhh... they stopped at gen 3

you'd have to basically cut the car in half and fabricate a little hump that runs all the way back to clear the driveshaft, relocate the gas tank to somewhere to fit the rear end, probably have to hand make every rear suspension piece, reroute exhaust components, brake shit, fuel lines. but if youve got the money do it, snatch. j/k.

I know they stoped at 3 but I was told that there is a 4 in the making but that person might have been wrong. If so drag 3 turbo then would have to do.

Just get an AWD 5 door 88-91 Civic... they come with a six speed, awd, and a nice li'l 1.6L sohc engine...

300 HP TURBO ZC, Anyone? :)

That's a project I'd like to do.

but the 6 speed is really a 5 with a granny gear...

So I was thinking... My understanding is the honda crv and civic have the same chasse is this correct. And if so how hard would it be to make an awd civic with the drive tran from a crv. Now if that is possibe is there a 5 speed tranny for the Crv if not who could make a five speed tranny that would hook up to an awd drive tran. I know that the axles would need to be replaced with ones that are stronger............. Can any one help.... Possble new project to my 98 4 door Civic EX

there are several possibilitys.. dont throw out the idea yet.. first you could buy a grey market AWD civic from japan for not very much money thats already awd.. the only problem is the factory differentials in the back are kinda flimsy so you would have to resarch on what after market diffs would fit.. it may be very similar or the same diffs as in the CRV.. if thats the case they make after market diffs and parts for that and that way you woulnt shatter the rear diff.. That would be the cheapest route. The next rout would be obviously fabricating.. it woulnt cost 10,000 to do tho its almost like some honda guys dont want people to do awd setups.... the setup is not that expensive my estimate would be 5 thousand max.. you would have to locate a 91 civic awd fuel tank that came off the wagons. you would have to cut off the rear cross member and have some one weld and shorten a CRV member on with differencial mounting locations. Then you would need to move your spare tire possibly slant it up to allow the differencial. Your exaust system would then go UNder your rear control arm instead of over. And would run along side the driveshaft it would have to be slightly modified.. then you would have to pick what engine you want.. if u want a b16 you would have to find a CRV b20 AWD trans with manual or auto.. wutever you want to do and bolt that up to the b16. then find a drive shaft.. you may have to have a CRV one shortened.. wich isnt much at all. I recommend using shortened and modified S2000 rear halfshafts becuase CRV ones are so flimsy under higher HP applications they will twist and snap especially if u get a VCD ( variable center differential) where you can control from a dial or a panel the percentage from front to rear usally 50/50 is recomended sometimes the rear is upped to 40/60 so 40 percent fron 60 rear to get traction.. some kits allow the front to be 0% completly and rear to be 100.. these kits are for CRVs in japan so you would have to find a vendor that halndles these parts.. there not to expensive its just time consuming more than any thing.. then im guessing you want to make your car in to a HONDA version of a EVO or STI.. then you would go with the turbo obviously im not aware of any factory turbo engines that honda has had besides the city turbo and the new k23a1 wich is found in the new RDX its a turbo charged 2.3 litre 4 cylender with a variable flow turbo putting out 240 hp at 6000 rpm and 260 Ft Lbs of tourqe at 4500 rpm. with a compression ratio of 8.8:1. my guess is thats going to be the next most popular Kswap on the eg ej bodys. it may be a few years before they are pulled out of the vehicals because they come on the 2007 model year Acura RDX BUT one step at a time!!

97 hatch goes to kitchen and gets ice for head to reduce swelling from:headsmash: its not worth it make a adapter plate for a b series to mitsu trans and make a honda powred mitsu or put that shit in a civic or be real cool and do a crx

Lmao

4x4%20civic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine have a fully built B20 Vtech with a gsr Head Fully rebuilt for a drag 4 turbo in the engine bay. That combantion would have too much touqe and hp to lock up the wheels at a high rpm..... Now being able to do what a tsi could do with awd would be a great acomplishment. I may be making a few phone calls to see if I can get some sponser to pay for some of the cost and maybe have a full article in a mag. coviering the step by step how to convert to awd.

Vtech is a Company that makes house Phones, and little kid toys....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back