Aweful Ignition Timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CB7 Fanatic

I've got a 92 Accord EX with a USDM H22 swap. I recently did a wire tuck and installed a new MSD cap, rotor, and Blaster 2 Coil. When I started it back up, it ran real rough, had no power in the lower RPM range, and wanted to stall out when coming to a stop. After looking at a bunch of other things (including the idle which was spot on perfect), I decided to check the timing. It was at set at zero degrees BTDC (the white mark on the flywheel). I turned the dizzy all the way advanced, and can get only 5.5 degrees BTDC. I pulled the engine harness and made sure all wiring was good. After no luck, I gave in and let someone else look at my car (I like to do everything myself) and gave it to an auto electrician down the street from me. He could figure it out either, but at least confirmed for me that I have minimal resistance in the engine harness. He told me to get another engine harness just to test it out, but I can't find one for a 90-93 Accord EX MT anywhere. Anybody have any thoughts? What else other than wiring could cause retarded timing? Timing belt is installed correctly (first thing I checked). Thanks in advance.

False alarm, just didn't know how to use a timing gun. Didn't realize that there were two ways to time, set gun to 15 degrees BTDC and line up the TDC mark (white) on the flywheel, or set the gun to zero, and line up the 15 degree mark (red) on the flywheel. I made up a third way and was trying to set it to 30 degrees by setting the gun to 15, and trying to line up the 15 degree mark on the flywheel. Good thing the distributor adjusts only so much. Now I know :)

lesson learned, but dont feel so bad. Im sure that if you just gave a bunch of people a timing gun and a manual half would do the same thing without even realizing it.

Back