1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awful day today.

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by daveholiday, Aug 15, 2007.

1. daveholiday

daveholiday Do work

Went out and got a new y8 vtec solenoid because my head didnt have one when I bought it off the kid. Brought it home, started screwing it in, 1 screw goes in. 2nd screw, screw scew SNAP. Shit, so I start taking the first one out. Unscrew unscrew SNAP. SHIT! So I go to the valves to start playing with those, put the new seals on. Nope, spring compressor is a piece of shit. Fuck autozone. So, who has some advice that might help me with problems that I don't wanna think about. I'm sitting in my room though, and I have a workbench in my room to work on small shit like this (yeah, I have no life) and it's hard to not look at. I just plan on getting hammered tonight and then I won't have to worry about it till tomorrow after work lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  2. freak86

freak86 New Member

that's some horrible luck.
    why didn't you just pull one off a vtec junker?
    i would never get something like that from autozone.
    the holes did line up, right? it was the bolts, wasn't it? were the bolts new?

3. daveholiday

daveholiday Do work

I guess I should be clearer. It is new to me, it was off a wrecked ex at this local junk yard that I love. Anyway, everything lined up perfectly, its for the d16y8, thats what I've got, and I know the difference between the z6 and y8 solenoid because I've gone through this before lol..but I used the bolts that I took from the solenoid, so they were probably just trash from being used. It was the bolts. On the other hand, I went to advanced autoparts and got the valve spring compressor that they use in the haynes manual and I'm halfway done with the springs..I got some bits thats used to grab onto busted bolts after you drill into them, but I happen to not have the right size drill bit to drill into the bolt, so I guess tomorrow I have to go back and get a new bit.

4. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

I think all of Honda's vtec solenoids are the same.

that sucks man! get wasted... that makes everything better...

5. daveholiday

daveholiday Do work

lol I did. completely hammered. turned out to be a great night.

as far as the solenoids, the z6 and y8 are very different as far as mounting, i tried a z6 and it was nowhere near fitting.

I'm ending up having to have it tapped and dyed or whatever, should be getting done soon, I hope :)

6. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Huh...
    I know the VTEC gaskets have the same part #, but yeah, I guess the bolt hole allignment is different.

:p don't mind me... I'll be over in the corner wearing my dunce hat...

7. daveholiday

daveholiday Do work

lol yeah the actual gasket is the same and all the entries to the ports in it are the same, but when it comes to mounting they're completely different for whatever reason

from old build thread that I quit lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. freak86

freak86 New Member

actually, they don't. the obd0 b16a(and maybe others) have been known to use the 91 nsx gasket(don't ask me why. all i know is the other honda b series ones won't fit correctly). but yeah. weird, i know.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted