Awptick's EJ9 D14Z2 Turbo Build Up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Not much going on right now, as they're packing up my house until Wednesday. Until October, it looks like I'm going to be sleeping in a recliner. <3

But the new s300 software makes a HUGE difference for low-speed drivability. They fixed the injector cut-off problem that was driving me nuts. Got a new tune into it, and been playing on the streets.

Haven't been able to check the mail to pick up any packages. Monday I'll see what I've got. Still have the BOV (actually a SAAB diverter valve), injectors, and the new boost sender in the mail. I'm going to go to the shop this weekend and see how much work it'll be to tap my oil pan, and get the pipe I'm missing fabricated.

Anyone know where I can find 1.5" -> 2" silicone couplers? I know that's kinda wierd, but I really need 'em. Here's why:

20080802-DSC_0152.jpg

20080802-DSC_0153.jpg

20080802-DSC_0154.jpg

Yes, I am a member of HMT. ;)

The water-line I'm using is 1.547" internal diameter, or 39.3mm. This will give me less volume in the charge piping, and it'll also increase velocity. Unfortunately I have to change the diameter of pipe when I get to the TB charge pipe. That pipe is back up to 2.5". This stuff should hold up in the heat, I'm betting that it'll bulge a little, but who cares, it's just charge pipe.

At this point I'm debating a methanol system, because I can't get the intercooler to work. There's no way I could run the piping without having to hack up the front end. This makes me sad. Oh well.

The oil drain I'm installing will be just drilled into the oil pan, not welded. I've got a -10AN bulkhead connector in the mail, and a SBR -10AN drain kit coming too.

I'll have everything up and running next weekend hopefully, and if temperatures aren't too high, I'll do a few speed runs on A3 and A5, maybe even A62 if I feel like going to Kaiserslautern.

Someone needs to buy my e-manage, I can use the money. Maybe even a trade.

Put a metal sleeve inside your water tubing so that you can really crank down the hose clamp and get the coupler to make the bridge.

Piping- put your battery in the trunk to open up space under the hood, then route away.

Put a metal sleeve inside your water tubing so that you can really crank down the hose clamp and get the coupler to make the bridge.

Piping- put your battery in the trunk to open up space under the hood, then route away.

A buddy and I already discussed this, and we figured it'd be easy to find 1.5" OD pipe to use. I've got some thinwall steel pipe in mind. Glad to see he wasn't full of shit.

My battery is way up in the right corner of the engine bay. It doesn't take up much room at all, besides, it's totally not in the way. The transmission mount is more in the way than the battery. I've got an EJ.

Was that kit used? That IC is beat! And HMT FTW, lots of good info there.

In the box it was shipped in, the guy set the turbo and manifold on top of the intercooler, along with everything else.

I decided I'll try mounting the intercooler, but if it won't fit, oh well, I'll go the chemically intercooled route. Water/Meth FTW.

A buddy and I already discussed this, and we figured it'd be easy to find 1.5" OD pipe to use. I've got some thinwall steel pipe in mind. Glad to see he wasn't full of shit.

My battery is way up in the right corner of the engine bay. It doesn't take up much room at all, besides, it's totally not in the way. The transmission mount is more in the way than the battery. I've got an EJ.

Well, you do need something rigid for the hose to clamp onto right? :)

Oh ok. For some reason I thought you had an ED/EE/EF model. I wasn't thinking about engine bay layout between generations. ;)

In the box it was shipped in, the guy set the turbo and manifold on top of the intercooler, along with everything else.

I decided I'll try mounting the intercooler, but if it won't fit, oh well, I'll go the chemically intercooled route. Water/Meth FTW.

Id be pissed, that intercooler is toast. Isnt there a guy on HMT running a water-cooled setup on his dual-point turbo D15? Another idea to consider is freon and your AC system. Think about it modify your AC lines, wrap copper tubing around the charge piping and let your AC pump push freon through the coils, thus cooling the air temp going into your intake. It was an idea me and my friend came up with on day.

Well, you do need something rigid for the hose to clamp onto right? :)

Oh ok. For some reason I thought you had an ED/EE/EF model. I wasn't thinking about engine bay layout between generations. ;)

I found something that will work. I'll post pics in a sec.

Id be pissed, that intercooler is toast. Isnt there a guy on HMT running a water-cooled setup on his dual-point turbo D15? Another idea to consider is freon and your AC system. Think about it modify your AC lines, wrap copper tubing around the charge piping and let your AC pump push freon through the coils, thus cooling the air temp going into your intake. It was an idea me and my friend came up with on day.

Well, I'm going to try to use the intercooler, after I leak-test it. If it leaks, Fuck it. It'll be sold as AL scrap.

Nah, I've got some thinwall steel pipe I'm going to use. Just have to go to the hardware store to pick it up.

lol. I'd love to see a waterbottle on someones throttle body!!! I would infinitely rep you if you could make something that ghetto work!!! haha!!!

Update: Stuff came in the mail for me.

42lb/hr lucas injectors, with bosch style tops. More on this later.
20080804-DSC_0002.jpg

VW/Audi/SAAB/Porsche/Volvo Redirector valve. <3
20080804-DSC_0004.jpg

20080804-DSC_0005.jpg

So, I got a lot of crap today, but I'm still waiting on some things. The entire fuel system is almost finished, save for boring out the fuel rail a little bit, but that'll happen much later. Now onto my notes about the injectors.

Notice how the tops are too big around to fit into the stock fuel rail?

These tops are 10mm at the metal part, which will fit into the honda rail, however the black plastic part further down will not. We need to do one of two things, put it on a lathe (Ideal) or mill out the stock fuel rail. I'm going to opt for milling out the rail.
20080804-DSC_0006.jpg

20080804-DSC_0010.jpg

The bottom stock o-ring needs to come off if you don't feel like shoving the injector into the rail. I'm leaving it on there. Just grease it up before you cram the injector in.
20080804-DSC_0007.jpg

20080804-DSC_0009.jpg

The nozzle is 3-streams. If you want, you can align it, but I don't think it really matters, as we've got 2 valves, and 3-streams, it's going to be unbalanced anyway. Maybe I'll get creative and pull it out, but probably not.
20080804-DSC_0008.jpg

As expected, these have the same lower-flange size as your standard DSM injectors. Refer to DSM Injector Install

These are just measurements. Someone might need them.
20080804-DSC_0011.jpg

20080804-DSC_0012.jpg

20080804-DSC_0013.jpg

20080804-DSC_0015.jpg

Pretty good for a $138 shipped set of 440cc injectors, right?

Projected date for the turbo install looks to be 16 August.

And on another note, why can't UPS delivery clowns just leave my oil-drain at the house?

THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE

How many delivery attempts are made? Nobody will be there to get it until Friday.

And on another note, why can't UPS delivery clowns just leave my oil-drain at the house?

How many delivery attempts are made? Nobody will be there to get it until Friday.

I'm sorry about that, Doug. At least that is what I remember your name to be. Forgive me if I have it wrong.

If you will provide me with your tracking number, I will see if I can help you out with it. Our package car drivers will often not leave packages at certain locations in order to insure that it is delivered. Also, if a signature is required, they will not leave it at the location unless the package is signed for.

They will typically make three attempts to deliver the package. You can try calling your local UPS location as well to see if they are able to help you out with the problem. They should be able to help you out in making delivery arrangements.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about that, Doug. At least that is what I remember your name to be. Forgive me if I have it wrong.

If you will provide me with your tracking number, I will see if I can help you out with it. Our package car drivers will often not leave packages at certain locations in order to insure that it is delivered. Also, if a signature is required, they will not leave it at the location unless the package is signed for.

They will typically make three attempts to deliver the package. You can try calling your local UPS location as well to see if they are able to help you out with the problem. They should be able to help you out in making delivery arrangements.

Cool, thanks. I'll try calling them to see if they will delay the third delivery attempt until Friday, or at least not try to deliver it anymore until my mom can go to the UPS place and pick it up (Since it needs a signature.)

Back