Awptick's EJ9 D14Z2 Turbo Build Up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm going to do a compression test sometime this week, then see if I should do the headgasket/ARP stud dance yet.

Also, I'm waiting on some other stuff. The target date is still 16AUG.

Where'd you pick up that "redirector valve" (bov right?)

looks stealthy! Are you going to recirculate it?

Yeah, you kinda have to recirculate if you think about it.

Engine is in vacuum, BOV is sucked open. Engine draws fresh air and dirt through BOV. (With a standard BOV)
Engine is in vacuum, replumbed BOV is open. Engine draws fresh air through the same air filter the turbo draws through.

Now, a vented BOV is fine for the track and most city driving, but srsly, what about us who live in the country and take the occasional dirt road? Or how about the paranoid? You guessed it.

I'm sure there are BOVs that don't open up when there's no boost, but the engine is in vacuum, but those cost more than $13 shipped. ;)

You did get your package delivered to you, correct? I never heard from you again so I am assuming so.

You did get your package delivered to you, correct? I never heard from you again so I am assuming so.

Yeah, and my mom got 'em. She's remailing them. So, I get to wait on the oil drain, and the studs for a couple days.

While I'm waiting for parts, I'll go ahead and reveal some of the goals of this project. I feel it's time.

1. 130 mph sustained.
2. 25 mph -> 85mph acceleration in under 10 seconds.
3. Increased fuel economy at highway speeds.

4. Less exhaust noise at highway speeds.
5. Better hill climbing abilities.
6. The ability to smoke any assclown who starts tailgating me.

I think those are pretty good goals, at least the first three are easily measurable, the last three are just wishes. I won't stop until all of the first three are met.

Here's the goals that I met already:

1. 120 mph sustained.
2. 30 mpg at 100 mph.
3. Less than 1km required for 100 mph.

I don't want to put times into the goals, because then I'll push the car harder than I should. People die from pushing it too hard on the tracks (real tracks the ones with turns), and that's not something I aspire to. Don't give me any shit about "going too fast", If you lived here, you'd understand. When I go 120mph, occasionally people will tell me to get out of the way so they can pass me, not nearly as often as when I cruise at 100mph though.

More of my goals are ride comfort, actually my main goal is ride comfort, right now I'm working on getting some of the wind noise muted.

So there you have it. My project goals. Feel free to pick them apart as you please, I like feedback.

Cruising...100mph? Wow, the speed limits on our expressways (in Ohio) are only 65mph.

More of my goals are ride comfort, actually my main goal is ride comfort, right now I'm working on getting some of the wind noise muted.

If you find something thats pretty effective at muting the wind noise let us know. Im not tryin to Dynamat the inside of my car, but would like the ride to be a lil quieter.

6. The ability to smoke any assclown who starts tailgating me.

I personally LOVE this goal as it is a goal of my own. At times you have the freakin' "ricers" that like to either tailgate or drive at the same speed next to you on the highway. Most of them love to rev at me and I just so wish I could floor it and leave those assclowns wondering what the fuck just happened to them.

Overall I believe you have some very good, realistic goals, Doug. I look forward to more updates as you get more things done.

Last edited:
What datalogging system are you using?

Hondata s300. Incredible system. If I had a camera, it'd be even cooler, because I'd have the blue-screen background just to dump it on.

I might datalog my drive home tonight if I can get my sellfone to record it all.

Here are the options for the movie output.

Attachments

• datalogging.PNG
    datalogging.PNG
    38.1 KB · Views: 257
Well, the girlfriend doesn't want to mess with the car this weekend, so it looks like I'm going to be doing the turbo the weekend after next. 23AUG.

:( I'm kinda disappointed, yet I'm glad, because it gives me more time to wait for the studs and the oil drain to come. <3

Man, that REALLY makes me want to get setup with it.
I'm gonna start looking around for the S300.
BTW how do the S100/200's compare?

Man, that REALLY makes me want to get setup with it.
I'm gonna start looking around for the S300.
BTW how do the S100/200's compare?

You want a s300, not 100 or 200, the 1/200 are just glorified chips with datalogging via external boxes over serial.

In a few minutes I'll have something really cool for you.

Back