axle boot leaking?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shfaster

sup everyone, so the other day my distributor craps out in my p.o.s. and while i was looking around in there i notice all this axle grease for the first time. now i just did this swap, i have a 94 ex and i just put in a b16a sec. gen. in there last week. i'm fucking broke and this is not the type of shit i need right now but anyway, i'm not ready to start takin shit apart right now cuz when i get my new distributor tomarrow i just wanna drive it for the first time in a week. i know its axle grease cuz its sprayed our from all around the boot to everywhere else. its not that bad, but bad enough. so do u guys think it'll be aright if i drove it around while its like that. i was gonna ghetto-rig something on it so it doesn't spray uncontrollably. how long can i drive it before i do some damage, cuz i am gonna rebuild it, just not right now. its only one axle thats doin it too.

Don't worry the worst thing you can do is mess up your tranny, but hey look on the good side then you could get something with lsd. As for a ghetto fix. Get clamps from your local hardware stock and replace the ones on there; after you have secured the clamps add grease to the boot and your ghetto fabolous.

so i should replace the outside clamps only. oh my friend was telling me sometimes you have to get a zip-tie on it or something, but as far as axle grease, can i pick up that stuff from autozone or napa or something. what if it's the seal for the boot, should i use some type of glue if the boot is in good shape. you have inspired all these ideas, but could someone tell me what type of axle grease to use. thanks

Did the grease come out from the ends of the boot, or from a hole? If it's just the ends than simply reband them, if it's a hole, you either need a new boot, or just replace the whole axle.

Just go buy a new boot for it. I had to do the same thing last week. The new boot and clamp is like 2 cents.

i just checked my car right now. it's raining right now, and i don't have my contacts in(im blind without em), but i still proceeded to drench myself for the good of the cause.i was not able to tell the condition of the boot, but i was able to see that it was the clamps that were causing the problem. all the axle grease was coming out of the clamp, the bigger one thats closer to the tranny, but anyway now all i need is axle grease. what is the good kind, and can i get someting from napa, or autozone or something. thanks

Back