1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axle Nut Threading

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by iStealVCRs, Aug 7, 2008.

1. iStealVCRs

iStealVCRs New Member

First off, I'd like to say hi, I'm new. Anyways, wasn't sure whether or not to post this in the vehicle specific section or here, but this is the area where I found most of the axle related questions.

Now, I've searched up and down this place, but alas I have found nothing. I have a '95 Civic DX Coupe with the stock D15B7 still in it, but I'm having some trouble getting the driver side axle nut off. My father and I have already attempted using brute force to take the bastard off, but with no luck. It's currently soaking in some TriFlow. Now, onto my question, is the driver side axle nut held on there with a right hand or left handed threading?

I appreciate everyone's help in advance, and I'll probably be around for a bit till I'm done with this thing. :p

2. nootrac22

nootrac22 Well-Known Member VIP

righty tighty lefty loosey same for the axle nut.

Did you unstake the nut? Also I had to use a 3/4 breaker bar and a pipe to get mine off.

3. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

lefty-loosy threads, be sure to bend out the little section where its bent into the spindle. Straight up brute force. Big breaker bar, big extension, have at it. Some really high quality impact wrenches will work.

If you don't mind running the risk of getting little bits of steel embeded in your flesh, have your dad put as much pressure on it as he can, and then hit the breaker bar with a sledge. I had to do that once, 3 foot "cheater" bar, 3/4 breaker bar, and a 3lb sledge. But it finally came off.

4. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

put a socket on there with a long cheater bar and make sure the car is still on the ground with the rim on when you do this it will come off then

5. whiterabbit06

whiterabbit06 Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill? VIP

I had it easy when I did mine I had to unstake the nut and I used a regular breaker bar.

6. iStealVCRs

iStealVCRs New Member

Ok, thanks for the input guys. I'll try to get it off next chance I get. Worse come to worse, I'll just cut it off or something, since I'm doing a complete swap. Wish me luck.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted