Axle problems, Please help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swapdohc

I have a 94 Civic Si hatch with an JDM B18C. I get a stong vibration when I turn left at speed, i thought it was tire rub but it is not. This is not a click liike a bad CV, these are brand new axles for a 95 Del Sol VTEC. They may be a TINY bit short, maybe a 1/4". I can not find anything else that it might be. Are the VTEC Del Sol the right axles? Thanks for your input.

PS The car absolutly hauls ass, I regularly hand mustangs and camaroes their ass'.

I was always told abs vs. non abs axles didn't matter.....there was a difference in that there was an extra ring but it wouldn't cause any probs....anyone confirm or deny this?

I had the ring in before on my non ABS, and removed it when I put ABS hubs on, didn't make a lick of shits worth of difference. Those (Del Sol) are the right axles, you should look to suspension, tires, alignment (big time), brakes, and mounts, then move on to axles as the problem.

yup... that or you have a bent trailing arm or lower control arm or something.

car even been wrecked?

The car does not have ABS and did not have even a hint of this problem before the motor swap. I mean I could wrap it around an over pass at 80 with no problem, now I can do it at 20, any more and it starts to shake.

The car has never been wrecked and I am runing brand new KYB AGX shocks with H&R sport springs. It is all installed correctly and has been rechecked several times to ensure everything is tight and in place.

Thank you for your ideas and help!

what starts to shake. the steering wheel? or vibration in the wheels. do you hit your brakes or just straight out punch it. ? what motor mounts are you using. lmao are your tires balanced. dude bring it to a garage and get a general inspection on your front end to make sure all bushings and suspension such as tie rod ends.. balljoints are in tip top shape. good luck let us know

yeaj bro, the 92 integra was doing almost the exact same thing and it was because the jackhole that swapped in the motor before my girl got the car used the non-ABS axles in an ABS car- as soon as we put in the new ABS style axles it drove and turned smooth as silk

The car is perfectly alligned, tires are balanced and in like new condition, it drives strait. The vibration is felt thru the steering wheel the most but can felt thru out the car. It is more of a rapid bumping instead of a vibration. It is felt only when turning left above 15-20 mph. It happens when there is a side load from the turn, the more side load the stronger the bumping, not faster, just stronger. The frequency (Speed) of the bumping is directly proportonal to the speed I am traveling. I can drive around in tight and wide left hand circles and nothing feels wrong at all, as long as I keep it slow. All ball joints and tie rod ends are in good shape and were not damaged during the swap (I did not use a pickle fork to split the ball joints, just a little leverage and a tap).

Again thanks for your input and ideas.

did you try the axles yet bro cause I really think that could be the problem- i know they all say that I'm crazy, but i dunno, it def. made the difference in my girl's integra

Originally posted by swapdohc@Feb 4 2004, 05:25 AM
It is more of a rapid bumping instead of a vibration. It is felt only when turning left above 15-20 mph. It happens when there is a side load from the turn, the more side load the stronger the bumping, not faster, just stronger.

This sounds EXACTLY like what happens when your front LCA bushings go out, I know because I just replaced mine two days ago and it was doing the exact same thing. If I'm wrong ok, but check it out. Like I said, I drove axles with ABS rings on my non ABS axles for months with no weird shinanigans.

yeah and maybe that's possible, but i'm not making this shit up about the integra bro- i dunno why you think i'm not for real or am lying- maybe the two cars are different- i dunno- but i do know that we cross refernced the part numbers, the non-abs axles were the cause of the problem

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Feb 4 2004, 10:05 PM
yeah and maybe that's possible, but i'm not making this shit up about the integra bro- i dunno why you think i'm not for real or am lying- maybe the two cars are different- i dunno- but i do know that we cross refernced the part numbers, the non-abs axles were the cause of the problem

I'm not saying you're lying, or wrong, just that his problem isn't symptomatic of the ABS rings.

oh, ok- sorry dude didn't mean to jump down your throat- it's just that what he is saying sounds EXACTLY like what my girlfriend's car was doing- that's all- and once we slipped those new axles in it was like B after 3 beers......smooth

It is felt only when turning left

This is why I think it is bushings and not axles, as if it was axles it seems it would be to both sides and not just one.

what kind of tranny are you using,

one time we did a swap for my buddy it was a b16 with a hydro LSD into 93 cx hatch, when we first completed the swap it made the same type of noise, then we went through like everything trying to figure out what it was, and we finally figured out it was an aftermarket Kaaz Lsd, and whe had to get the Kaaz tranny fluid thats specifically for that , after we put that stuff in, it ran like "budda"

I FOUND THE BUG!!!!!

As it turns out on of the new axles was assembled wrong at the remanufaturing plant and was simply defective. I replaced both axles again to ensure that that was not the porblem and sure enough it went away. Both the axles that came out were brand new (Re-mans) and seemed to be in perfect working order even after they came out.

Thank you all for you imput. As a result of trying to figure this out I have all new ball joints and front end bushings and that is not a bad thing. Thanks again.

well i was close- I told ya it was axles 92b16vx- i just wasn't quite right about the problem with the axles

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Feb 9 2004, 09:55 PM
well i was close- I told ya it was axles 92b16vx- i just wasn't quite right about the problem with the axles

Both wrong :p

Back