axle replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StarBellieAngel

ok, so in the helm's it says to get a ball joint remover. rented one from a parts place, and it's the wrong tool...

i hear there's a way to do it without it, is there? or do i need to find one of these things anyway?

i should add that we tried the whole 'bang on it' idea to get the arm out of the way... hmmm guess we'll try it again... :p

what are you hitting it with? i did mine today in my driveway - 30 min total. get a five pound sledge. hit the hell out of the lower control arm, dont be scured. 5 hard wacks later, push up on the rotor. done. what tool did they give you?

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Feb 4 2005, 05:47 PM
ok, so in the helm's it says to get a ball joint remover. rented one from a parts place, and it's the wrong tool...

i hear there's a way to do it without it, is there? or do i need to find one of these things anyway?

i should add that we tried the whole 'bang on it' idea to get the arm out of the way... hmmm guess we'll try it again... :p
[post=456619]Quoted post[/post]​

You just need a bigger hammer. It works. Just bang on the part that the ball joint slides into, not the one that its mounted into. bang on it hard, its not going to hurt anyhitng and eventually it will come out.

Travis

I wrote a really detailed how-to about changing axles- go look for it Misti.

You can get a pickle fork, and a rubber mallet. I've always used this method. Only problem is sometimes it rips the boot.

yea, i read the article after i posted this, cal. lol :search: pwnz me. but... we did it yesterday, and the car doesn't click anymore. it's SO nice!! thanks guys. :)

Back