1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

axle replacement

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by StarBellieAngel, Feb 4, 2005.

1. StarBellieAngel

StarBellieAngel Senior Member

ok, so in the helm's it says to get a ball joint remover. rented one from a parts place, and it's the wrong tool...

i hear there's a way to do it without it, is there? or do i need to find one of these things anyway?

i should add that we tried the whole 'bang on it' idea to get the arm out of the way... hmmm guess we'll try it again... :p

2. 92b17

92b17 Junior Member

what are you hitting it with? i did mine today in my driveway - 30 min total. get a five pound sledge. hit the hell out of the lower control arm, dont be scured. 5 hard wacks later, push up on the rotor. done. what tool did they give you?

3. tmacie

tmacie Junior Member

You just need a bigger hammer. It works. Just bang on the part that the ball joint slides into, not the one that its mounted into. bang on it hard, its not going to hurt anyhitng and eventually it will come out.

Travis

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I wrote a really detailed how-to about changing axles- go look for it Misti.

5. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

You can get a pickle fork, and a rubber mallet. I've always used this method. Only problem is sometimes it rips the boot.

6. StarBellieAngel

StarBellieAngel Senior Member

yea, i read the article after i posted this, cal. lol :search: pwnz me. but... we did it yesterday, and the car doesn't click anymore. it's SO nice!! thanks guys. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted