Axle seals

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

How often do axle seals go out??... on the Intermediate shaft side of my trany i keep leaking oil!!... i refilled it yesterday and most if not all of the oil is prolly gone today. I was thinkin about it, i had the seals replaced about 4 monthas ago, but now im beginning to think that the intermediate shaft has pits in it. Are there anyother seals which should be in there that i am missing.. or do i just have bad luck??

1) how often do the seals go out (or how many miles)?

2) Could it possibly be the intermidiate shaft is causing the problem?

3)Are there any other seals in the tranny that i could be either missing, or need replacing to stop the leaks?

4) what do you folk reccomened i do?

There should only be one seal on the tranny side and a splash shield to protect the oil seal from outside damage on the shaft side. I'm suspecting maybe the shaft is not fully installed in there. Check to see if the shield on the shaft is touching the tranny that's usually a sign that it's installed correctly. Another possibility is that during the installation of the shaft, the tip might of scratched the oil seal and damaged it. I would remove the shaft and replace the seal making sure it's evenly pressed and being careful not to damage it when u install the shaft. I could probably bet u that's it. Good luck!

Back