Axle wont go all the way in?!?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I am tryign to re-install my axles into my new tranny. I got the passenger side to go in with a little force, but now i cant get the drivers side axle in all the way :cry: It needs to go in about 1" or so more. I figure its that the snap ring cant pop in, Should i replace the snap ring? I have tried with an my might to get it in and it wont go that last little bit in :mad: Any ideas? Also is there anywhere else to get the snap ring,the adavanced auto parts near me doesn't sell it?

With my car, I didn't have a snap ring that would snap into the transmission. However, there was a snap ring between the axle and driveshaft. It should just slide right into the tranny. You got the right axles, right? Compare it with the old axle just in case.

These axles where the original ones on my car, i just replaced my dx tranny for an ex one. I am confused on what you mean about a snap ring betwwen your axle and drifshaft, From my understanding an axle is the same thing as a driveshaft :shrug2:

Quoted post[/post]]
These axles where the original ones on my car, i just replaced my dx tranny for an ex one. I am confused on what you mean about a snap ring betwwen your axle and drifshaft, From my understanding an axle is the same thing as a driveshaft :shrug2:

Well, I don't want to confuse you. If you took the whole thing out, it's probably all together. The whole assembly is usually two pieces (well, at least for b-series trannys). I'm not sure what the driver axle for your car looks like. Do you have a pic?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Well, I don't want to confuse you. If you took the whole thing out, it's probably all together. The whole assembly is usually two pieces (well, at least for b-series trannys). I'm not sure what the driver axle for your car looks like. Do you have a pic?
Oh i see you were talking about the halfshaft and axle, gotcha. My axle is a regular driver side axle so its basically the same(other than dia. and splines) as yours but just longer.

Yeah, that's right. So there's a snap ring at the end of the gear that connects to the tranny? I know mine didn't have that. If you do have it and you try to take the ring out, you'll just bend it out more and that would make it even harder to pop in the tranny. I don't think you can even buy that snap ring if you wanted to. Can you post a pic?

gallery_33136_489_14842.jpg

Thats not junk on the splines, that just some grease i put on there thinking it would help
gallery_33136_489_4292.jpg

if you can wait until monday order from your honda dealer or swing by napa. the snap ring turbo is referring to is inside the casing of the tranny. it secrures the gears. if the new tranny casing has ever been opened you may need a new snap ring. it requires that you drop the tranny though but change the axle rings first before going through the headache.

Hey bro, I don't think you need to replace the snap ring. Just leave it. I don't even see it sticking out in your pic. Sorry if I confused you with the half shaft stuff. You just gotta keep trying and popping it in. Just line the axle gears into the tranny and once it's a little bit in, slam it in. Keep repeating that and it will eventually pop in. The more force you can exert, the better. The idea behind this is to try to pop it all the way in with one shot. Good luck, buddy. :mrgreen:

Also, this might be easier if you have another buddy holding the end of the axle even while you try to pop it in.

If you don't have a buddy to help you, try using another jack stand to support the end of the axle while you try to pop it in with two hands. It doesn't necessarily have to be a jackstand. Look for something like a sturdy box about the same height to support the end of the axle. Good luck. You just gotta keep trying, bro.

I got it in. :) .. i used just a little force with a pry bar on the header and outside of the axle cup and popped right in. Also having the axle level made a huge difference, Thanks driverunknown!

Quoted post[/post]]
I got it in. :) .. i used just a little force with a pry bar on the header and outside of the axle cup and popped right in. Also having the axle level made a huge difference, Thanks driverunknown!

That's great to hear. It must feel good to finally pop that b*tch in.

Back