Axles too long

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Uppertorso

I have a 1990 civic DX with a B16a JDM engine/transaxle swap. I just installed new axles on the vehicle. The passenger side shaft is ok, but the shaft on the drivers side seems to be too long???? I ordered shafts for a 1990 integra. So when the vehicle is going into a corner to the right (weight shifting to the left causing the axle to compress) there is grinding noises coming from the left front axle shaft. When installing the shaft it was a little tighter than normal to get the ball joint in. Therefore it seems that the shaft is too long. Has anyone run into this problem or have any suggestions???

any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

make sure the splines are long enough. when i did my swap i made the same mistake. the axles are actually identical in lenth, but i noticed for some reason they made the splines that go into the intermediate shaft(driver side) about 1" longer than the one that goes into the passnger side(passenger side has shorter splines that taper into smooth steel then the snap ring that holds it into the tranny, the shaft that goes into the intermediate shaft has splines all that way to the snap ring). hope this helps.

i am using a half shaft from a 90-93 integra manual, and the shaft splines were correct. I have heard of people using the inner joint from a 90-93 integra, and then the shaft/outer joint from a 86-89 integra do u guys think this would work???

That sucks...

what mounts did you use?

I found on kteller.com An-R mounts for $175

sounds to me like you got the axles in the wrong sides, there is a difference in length and tranny side splines...

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@May 14 2004, 01:26 PM
sounds to me like you got the axles in the wrong sides, there is a difference in length and tranny side splines...

:huh: correct me if im wrong but the drivers side is male axle(the mid shaft goes inside of it) and the passenger goes into the tranny right???

Originally posted by 88bluehf+May 14 2004, 01:58 PM-->
@May 14 2004, 01:26 PM

:huh: correct me if im wrong but the drivers side is male axle(the mid shaft goes inside of it) and the passenger goes into the tranny right???

thats right, not to sure what your getting at though...

thats right, not to sure what your getting at though...

what im getting is the fact that the axles would never go in if you had them on the wrong side...and the car certainly wouldnt move to go through a corner

actually i've seen it done, I almost did it once too, but knew it wasn't right when the passanger side didn't pop in smooth, the spline pattern is the same, the distance of the patter is different, the passanger side is shorter and has slightly a larger diameter after the splies stop...

yeah but its like putting two dicks together.....just dont work that way..lol... ;)..seriously would you try to screw two bolts together..if you can find a way to make a b series civic move with the axles in the wrong side well enough to go through a corner i would really like to see it.

If you use a 90-93 integra half shaft then 90-93 teg axles will work. You don't need raxle custom axles unless you're running a LOT of hp.

dont get mounts that are not quality brands, or you will regret it

Originally posted by daidilus@May 17 2004, 07:35 PM
dont get mounts that are not quality brands, or you will regret it

if hes driving his car, he oboviously has mounts, useless infromation, this thread is getting worthless since this stuff is off topic and since the starter has not been posting he probably figured it out or took it to someone who did....

some axles are marked, but if you know half of what you are doing you would know that the long splines go into the int. shaft. But depending on what mounts he is using, it could make a difference in what axles. I'mrunning a werid axle set up on my h22 that people don't usually use but it works fine. Different cars need different things. If a side is binding then you need a shorter axle. If one is poping then you need a longer axle, thats just a rule of thumb though

Originally posted by ktanaka@May 17 2004, 03:26 PM
If you use a 90-93 integra half shaft then 90-93 teg axles will work. You don't need raxle custom axles unless you're running a LOT of hp.

sorry to tell you, but Raxles hybrid axles arent built for High HP...they are built only for the installation of your run of the mill B series engine. I bought them for my B16 hatch cause they are a quality product.......

Back