B&M style for my EG?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys. Buying a new torque converter setup for my Civic and trying to find a B&M or other type of semi-auto shifter. It will cost less in the end over swapping in a manual tranny (install + ecu programming + flywheel and clutch kit + installing clutch pedal + new gauges) and be less work. Also, I know people with 10 second cars running autos (Best Transmission's Owner has a 10 second Supra which is an automatic). So it's not the worst idea.

Anyone know where I can find something like this for my civic:

343_full.jpg

I've never looked for one on a Civic...

But you don't want to run the automatic. It's not very strong, and not really that great for drag racing.

The RWD guys have tons of performance transmissions that are awesome for the quarter mile. Hondas don't- that's why you rarely see anyone racing an automatic.

Calesta said:
I've never looked for one on a Civic...

But you don't want to run the automatic. It's not very strong, and not really that great for drag racing.

The RWD guys have tons of performance transmissions that are awesome for the quarter mile. Hondas don't- that's why you rarely see anyone racing an automatic.

That's why there's a 8.73 second quater mile civic thats a 3 speed automatic ;)

Most automatics that run well on the strip make shitty street cars. A 4000 RPM stall converter sucks on the street.

Calesta said:
Which most likely is NOT running a Honda transmission. ;)

Regardless, I'm not trying to run at a drag strip (why does everyone assume that?) I'm only trying to have a trip-tronic system for my honda, to make selecting the gears more optional. I didn't ask for your opinion about the transmission, just looking for the shifter, why do you make it so difficult? Thanks for your opinion, but I don't care.

friz said:
Most automatics that run well on the strip make shitty street cars. A 4000 RPM stall converter sucks on the street.

Only in the rain, and most people don't run with a 4k rpm engagement point (can you say busted engine mounts and a whole lot more..).

don_radeon said:
Regardless, I'm not trying to run at a drag strip (why does everyone assume that?) I'm only trying to have a trip-tronic system for my honda, to make selecting the gears more optional. I didn't ask for your opinion about the transmission, just looking for the shifter, why do you make it so difficult? Thanks for your opinion, but I don't care.
They why mention 10 sec autos.........Sorry I guess we dont have enough knowledge of autos to help you.

don_radeon said:

Everyone assumes it because you talk about 10 second Supras in your first post. What else are they supposed to think?

I'm not trying to make anything difficult or confrontational. I'm only putting in whatever information I can give to you on this subject. You're in a forum.

You don't care? I don't know of any shifters like that which will fit a Civic. I'm trying to help with whatever information I have based on my understanding of what you're trying to do (assumed to be drag racing from your first post and following posts), but I guess that doesn't matter.

I won't bother to read or answer any more of your posts. Just Google "Civic automatic shifter" if you want an answer.

They dont make one for Hondas for the simple reason that Honda automatics are unpopular. All I can say is that be happy that an EG is the only stock Civic shifter that allows 1-2-3-4 shifting, and just be careful with it so you dont over throw it. You're pretty safe as long as you don't throw it into R or N above 99mph. The trans has built in protections.

All the myths about Honda automatics are unfounded. No one making those claims has any idea of the inner workings of a mid nineties Honda auto transmission. I have an 88 Turbo AWD Civic wagon automatic putting down over 200WHP daily driven. I have a 93 Civic automatic with a TCI high stall converter and rebuilt with a TCI master racing overhaul kit daily driven. I also have a 90 Civic Si with a manual tranny, but that's besides the point. If you believe the popular claims, I'm a living impossibility.

suspendedHatch said:
They dont make one for Hondas for the simple reason that Honda automatics are unpopular. All I can say is that be happy that an EG is the only stock Civic shifter that allows 1-2-3-4 shifting, and just be careful with it so you dont over throw it. You're pretty safe as long as you don't throw it into R or N above 99mph. The trans has built in protections.

All the myths about Honda automatics are unfounded. No one making those claims has any idea of the inner workings of a mid nineties Honda auto transmission. I have an 88 Turbo AWD Civic wagon automatic putting down over 200WHP daily driven. I have a 93 Civic automatic with a TCI high stall converter and rebuilt with a TCI master racing overhaul kit daily driven. I also have a 90 Civic Si with a manual tranny, but that's besides the point. If you believe the popular claims, I'm a living impossibility.

I like to hear that, someone doing something people are afraid to do and proving them wrong. Hence my d-series turbo build. Anyways, I think I'll just a stall converter installed and be done with it for now.

People dont realise I mention a 10 second auto supra to show that all autos don't suck, not that I wanted to drag.

what you dont seem to realize is that most of those 10 second auto supras are converted to use a turbo 400 (gm transmission) rather than the stock supra auto trans. im not saying people dont use the supra trans, but once that shit goes most supra owners switch to the turbo 400.

also, 200 hp is well within the range of a civic (or any other honda) transmission. when you start hitting that 500+hp range, thats when you start seeing problems. im fine with turbo/auto, but there is a point where a honda tranny will not live up to the abuse, and that is when you start getting into the 11-12second range. they wont go out immediately, but it will happen.

Last edited:
Back