1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B-Series Blocks...

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Pewble, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Pewble

Pewble Senior Member

Last week I walked out on my parts driver job... (Chevrolet....) HAHAHA bunch of a$$e$... (8.50/hr... plz) dont fret im getting a forklift job soon (13+/hr) .. anyways
    I was talking to this guy on my parts run trying to tell me all this mish-mash about LS/vtec and swappin and stuff .. he sorta knows what hes talking about.. he says he can swap in a LS in like 6 hours. Also says that the LS block is much stronger than any other b-series and this is why I should choose it... does he mean since it has more torque that that sleeves are bigger and the torque = strengh? Kinda makes sense. anyways im seriously considering LS motor- no VTEC.. just a PnP , crower cams (or custom grind) and springs and retainers. I think that would be fast for my 2200 lb whip. Lots of people say b16 SiR II is a great way to go too. But I was relatively disapointed in my friends 99 Si.. I guess thats heavier than my car and its the USDM version but tell me what up PeasE

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Well, what kind of "whip" you got? A B16A in a 5th gen CX or VX is a lot more impressive than it is in a 99-00 Si.

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

the ls block is the second shittiest b-series block there is. the b20b/z being the worst due to its sleeve design.

over the ls,
    the gsr/itr/ctr blocks all have a block girdle
    the gsr/itr/ctr/b17a/b16a blocks all have oil squirters

all b-series have an 81mm bore, except the crv blocks (b20b/z) which have an 84mm bore
    stroke varies, and that is the biggest factor in the displacement.
    the 1.6/1.7L's have a pyhiscally shorter deck height than the 1.8/2.0L counterparts, except the ctr, which has the same deck height of a 1.8L

confused yet? :p

anyway, the LS can be made pretty quick for cheap.
    check out the article i posted in the articles forum, called "building an all motor ls" as i reviewed the build-up my buddy wildbill did in his hatch.
    the car was pretty quick. mid 14s on street tires at 1000' above sea level, untuned, stock header and air box...

4. Pewble

Pewble Senior Member

my Whip is a 95 red civic dx coupe Stock except for my ultra-fast 99 civic Si shift knob. Maybe I will go b16... im sooo torn between b16 and ls. dammit.

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

<---Likes B16As, but loves B18Cs

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted