B series dizzy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Del Slw

whats the difference between an obd1 vtec distributor, and a non vtec. same question for ob2, ob2b.

-Robbie

The difference is the number of notches on the shaft for the TDC sensor to read. The amount of notches also has to do with the Camgears. They are different for Vtec and Non-Vtec So basically you need to match the Cam Gear and Distributors together. Same i belive goes for all the SIngle cam setups. All for OBD1 & OBD2 Except OBD2 has a different connector on it that can be changed to use on OBD1 and vise a versa.

Originally posted by rschoener@May 5 2004, 03:43 PM
The difference is the number of notches on the shaft for the TDC sensor to read. The amount of notches also has to do with the Camgears. They are different for Vtec and Non-Vtec So basically you need to match the Cam Gear and Distributors together. Same i belive goes for all the SIngle cam setups. All for OBD1 & OBD2 Except OBD2 has a different connector on it that can be changed to use on OBD1 and vise a versa.

ummm no :newbie:

thats the difference between obd0 and obd1-2. obd1 and 2 have the same number of teeth on the gears, but obd0 is different and has less i believe.

now hwat he asked for was the difference between the vtec and non-vtec. inside, they are the same (for the same obd) only difference i believe is the flange where it bolts to the head.

Del Slw- try to be more specific with your question. what are you trying to do? i just want to make sure that im correctly answering your question but getting the question straight to begin with.

basically i was just wondering what the differences were. inside and out.

if there were any electrical differences, or any differences in the flanges.
and if a non vtec will work with a vtec, and vice versa...

bolt pattern is the issue.

Del Slow Vtecs use a B16 distributor that matches the bolt pattern of the B16 head.
Del Slow Sis use a Z6 dizzy that matches the z6 head.
Del Slow S use a different dizzy that matches the non vtec head.

All OBD1 distributors are identical internally.
There is a lot of variation in which ones bolt up correctly.

and OBD2 dizzies are more or less compatible with OBD1, if you change plugs, etc. Make sure they bolt to your head right. Y8 != Z6 even though they're both SOHC Vtec

Back