B series engines

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JV367C

What is the difference between a B20B block and rotating assembly and a B20Z's? I know that the Z has a knock sensor and the B20B does not but what else? I need to replace the engine in a 2000 CR-V I have a line on a B20B block and wondering if it will work with all the internals and everything else.The engine in there decided after 214,000 miles to pitch a rod threw the side of the block. I hoping to pick up a block and whatever else it needs and getting it running again.Any info or a line on some parts would be greatly appreciated.Thanks John

same block only difference is pistons, 98+crv b20z use PHK pistons and pre 98 use P3F pistons.

PHK uses a slightly higher dome that raises compressions. Use PHK pistons in the block. You will make more power and more torque.

Thanks so I could use the b20b with b20z pistons and the rods and crank (stroke,length,comp. hgt, bearing diameters,etc) are all the same between the two engine's?so the only difference is comp. and cams so I just watch out for piston-valve clearance and I'm good to go?What about the knock sensor just don't use it or is there a place to put it in a older block?Thanks John

everything is the same, but pistons. piston to valve clearance should be 100% the same besides what you take off when you deck the block and head.

knock sensor should be a direct fit. i think there is a plug were it goes in the b20z. just doubble check.

and yes you must use a knock sensor or else you will throw a CEL.

Thanks I think the one I'm looking at is a block from Japan that would be a JDM right?

so why not just rebuild your engine so you know what youre getting? wen we get vehicles with blown engines no matter how bad, i send that over to the machine shop. they call me and tell me whats good and whats not. if theres stuff that cant be rebuilt...like your block they call me and tell me they have to get a good core and it cost me like another 50 bucks. your head is probably salvageable and would only require a valve job and possibly a valve or two but you would get back an engine that will pass smog and have all new internals, timing belts, lumps gaskets and seals

he said the engine has a nice window that Mr. rod blew in the side of the block. why would you even attempt to fix that?

buy a used block, go .5mm to 1mm over and be done with it. rods and pistons are cheap for the B20/B18a/b. plus why would you reuse rods with 200k miles??

he was also asking about the block, not the head, Im assuming hes gonna reuse his head.

only thing that would be reusable would be the head.....and thats if he didnt blow up a chamber. I would never reuse a honda crank that needs the journals worked on. not to mention it would be cheaper to buy another crank than to get it turned.

Thanks for all the advice, I decided to just pick up one of those JDM engines with 20,000-30,000 on them saves, me time and money right now. I do have another question about yanking the engine,in my book it says you yank the engine and trans together is it easier or even possible to yank just the engine and were is the best place to attach the lifting chain?

Back