B series into EF HELP NEEDED!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtec baby

Right i know there are many sites out there but i just need a few thngs clarified before i go ahead and buy my first EF civic,

First off i have a EJ9 civic which i put a b16a 2nd gen into with ease that i can use for parts as will be swapping as much as i can from it over to the EF as i can

-for the EF itself i will be aiming for a dual point injection 1.4 civic am i right? and this will be obd0?!?!
-for the wiring harness providing the car is obd0 i use my obd1 p28 chipped for b16 with a jumperharness to obd0 then change the plugs accordingly and add vtec wires and such or can i somehow use the ek4 loom from my civic just now to wire it all up?
-exhaust i have a skunk2 megapower on my civic just now will it fit underneath and can i make it poke out on the offside instead of nearside?
-running a hydro box got an integra box whats the easiest or cheapest way to get it to work in this ef chassis, take out the ej9 pedal box and put into ef? i know its not a straight swap but abit of fabrication??? then cut hole accordingly in the bulkhead for clutch master cylinder?
-what driveshafts can i use? i will be swapping the ef front brakes for my EK4 vti front brakes so the b series shafts will fit the hubs but are they the right length?
-gearlinkage how much longer/shorter is the EF to an EJ9 and can i use the EJ9 shift linkage in an EF chassis or will i need to modify it?
-ive heard i need to smash abit of the engine bay to get the b series engine into the bay is this true?

answers would be very very appriciated! thanks alot guys!

I have a 92 Civic so my knowledge isn't specific enough to answer all your questions.

Is the EF MPFI already or would you need to convert it (tons of threads on that subject for you to research)

I think you need a OEM cast iron mount for a EF SIR that connects to the aluminum mount right at the timing belt. (it attaches to the block). This is based on the angle the motor sits in an EF vs an EG or an EK.

I am not sure what other OEM mounts will work b/c most I've seen in person have an aftermarket mount kit. But that info should be easy for you to find.

Gotta run a SIR hood or spacers in the hinges on the hood.

In my opinion....changing over to a hydro clutch would be a hassle in comparison to finding a clean cable clutch B-series trans. I am worried the spot for the clutch master cylinder would be blocked by the shock tower......but you'd have to look yourself. I have yet to read about this being done but I figure it is 'possible'

Easiest way and most common cure for wiring is based on a company like Rywire making you a harness from the two harnesses (B16a Gen2 and EF)

Pretty sure you need 90-93 Integra Axles....or aftermarket.

Shift linkage would need to be cut, shortened and re-welded....or buy aftermarket.

All in all......if you are trying to pinch pennies.....its a lot harder and takes tons more knowledge (especially if you try to tackle the engine harness and hydro clutch situation yourself.....yikes) but if you have a reasonable budget.......it can be done much easier.

I have a 92 Civic so my knowledge isn't specific enough to answer all your questions.

Is the EF MPFI already or would you need to convert it (tons of threads on that subject for you to research)

I think you need a OEM cast iron mount for a EF SIR that connects to the aluminum mount right at the timing belt. (it attaches to the block). This is based on the angle the motor sits in an EF vs an EG or an EK.

I am not sure what other OEM mounts will work b/c most I've seen in person have an aftermarket mount kit. But that info should be easy for you to find.

Gotta run a SIR hood or spacers in the hinges on the hood.

In my opinion....changing over to a hydro clutch would be a hassle in comparison to finding a clean cable clutch B-series trans. I am worried the spot for the clutch master cylinder would be blocked by the shock tower......but you'd have to look yourself. I have yet to read about this being done but I figure it is 'possible'

Easiest way and most common cure for wiring is based on a company like Rywire making you a harness from the two harnesses (B16a Gen2 and EF)

Pretty sure you need 90-93 Integra Axles....or aftermarket.

Shift linkage would need to be cut, shortened and re-welded....or buy aftermarket.

All in all......if you are trying to pinch pennies.....its a lot harder and takes tons more knowledge (especially if you try to tackle the engine harness and hydro clutch situation yourself.....yikes) but if you have a reasonable budget.......it can be done much easier.

Thanks for your very quick reply i forgot to say im in the uk so the clutch pedal clears the shock tower a good foot or so as for the bonnet i would just raise it =] i also forgot to mention i am a mechanic and can do electrics,mechanics,hydraulics as i work with them every day so ill look into them shift linkage shouldnt be too hard to cut and weld, i have both cutter and welder so can do this ill just cut and weld at the straightest part hmmm wonder how hard it would be to get them axles?! im in the uk you see and these parts might be harder to get i guess most of ut us trial and error try and fit the engine good, then figure everything from there its oing to take a while but meh its my hobby so the longer the more interesting it gets plus the more i learn along the way =] thanks again!

Because the car i have got is carb i was having a brain wave could i rip out the whole loom form my car and put it into the ef meaning i can use all my electrics and such and wire up an out of tank fuel pump for injectors? i am an mechanic/auto electrician so pretty confident i can do this, obviously i will need to swap pretty much all the plugs and such to each electrical item ill even have to put my ej9 clocks in and such

try and stay away from dual point so you wont have to convert to mpfi .. look for a SI or a HF .. everything else is dual point

Sounds like you want a project and feel confident so I am interested in the outcome.

:popcorn:

-As far as your trany woes go, there is a hydro to cable conversion kit out there for b-series tranys. You could use your Hydro trans and keep the cable setup. Check it out.

-You'll need to do a DPFI to MPFI swap, easy enough. Run your p28 and use a jumper harness to obd0. You'll need to run a few extra wires for v-tec and knock sensors.

- You don't really need to "smash" the driver side frame rail. It's a really close fit but the alternator will fit. If you want to be sure, go for it.

-I used 90' integra ls axles, should be fine.

-Use a D to B motor mount kit. Hasport and Inovative both make great mount kits.

Good luck with the swap.

The only problem is ef are quite rare here in uk im having difficulty finding a solid gl im not phased by changing dpi to mpi but i thought the gl were twin carbed?? correct if im wrong i did find ainnovative kit that have the b series hydro mounts and converter for only £202 but yeah you guessed the website dissapeared overnight haha o well another few hours search should find again thats cool with the jumper harness and other wires ect i had to wire up the vtec solonoid into my ej9 with the b16a pretty straight forwards right ill mount it up and see if there are clearance isues but all should be good and im gonna see about the driveshafts once the engines in and on the teething problems haha

your gonna want an si it comes with a d16a6 so its mpfi and besides the si looks much better i have an ef hatch right now but yea ur gonna wanna use that jumper harness.

Back