B-series swap with holley 4-barrel?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I realize that the 84-87 crx hx weighs just over 1700lbs. And it makes me wonder what a mild B20 with a 75hp wetshot would do in a car this light. I remember this one company that made this intake manifold for Honda engines that would allow for the use of a Holley four-barrel carburetor.

The benefits would be that you could use as large of cam that you wanted to, more flow, and waaaay less expensive than efi related parts. You could always use the Weber twin 45DCOE setup, but is much more expensive than a Holley 4-barrel or 2-barrel.

It is a cast aluminum intake manifold.

What is the name of the company that makes this? I have searched the web with no luck.

sounds interesting. if you do this i want pics of everything. you could even slap a NX system on it for the wet shot

cool, use a manual choke as well. And while you are at it go ahead and put in some leafsprings on the rear, and convert the front suspension to use i-beams.

completely worhtless, i wanna this set up, It would cost way more money in the long run to do this set up then if you kept it EFI.

Your injection/intake setup has nothing to do with how big of a cam you run. A carbourator will not keep your valves from smashing into your pistons if you've got too big of a cam.

And cheaper than FI? How?

fi is worthless, because the big boys make mad powah with carbs! duh!!
injectors go out all the time and are expensive to replace.
I mean the computer is stupid and doesn't know shit about timing and air/fuel ratios
and it would mess the motor up, especially in vtack mode
and you could adjust the carb yourself when you change elevation, because the computer obviously cannot do it.

You could set it up to run super lean for daily driving mode, for mad tite fuel conservation, and just run max fuel when drag racing.

I'm doing it on christmas day. I won't take any pics or post any results for fear of being embarrassed.

Please read this entire post before replying.

You can run as large of a cam profile that you want to run with a carburetor, but with a computer controlled fuel system, you have to spend an a$$ load of cash to reprogram the ecu so that you won't throw a check engine light.

Here's a thought. Go find the biggest, and most sloppiest cam profile on the market for an LS honda head, and do a cost comparison. This comparison should consist of the cost to acquire good driveability with the use of a carburetor versus the use of electronic fuel injection, that is, when upgrading to this monsterous cam.

Here's the figures:

the efi option:
-reprogrammed ecu ($250+) or stand alone such as AEM ($1400+) or A'PEXi Super AFC ($450)
-larger injectors ($150+ at the least)
-fuel pressure regulator ($50+ for a new and simple model)
-wideband O2 sensor for "tooooning" ($150+)
-optional 255 Walbro fuel pump ($100)
-optional used throttle body upgrade ($175+)
-unlisted items or replacement parts for potential user error ($150+)
****THIS LIST CAN BE EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE*******

the carburetor option:
-make a jet change and be done ($3.75)
-unlisted items or replacement parts for potential user error ($4.98 for a thread tap because of stripped out threads when changing jets)
*****THIS IS ABOUT AS SIMPLE AS IT GETS******

Now look back at the first post of this thread. Do you notice how I mentioned an 84-87 crx? The only reason that I would consider a carburetor is because this car came with a carburetor. And the only reason that I would want to use this car is because it happens to weigh just over 1700lbs.

By the time you get the car converted to efi, you have spent a crap load of cash. It's best to just stay with the carburetor.

P.S.- driverunknown, PM me with the results, because I won't bash you like alot of the other members will. I would like to know how it works out for you. And what car are you doing this with?

ok frist you really need to be over at www.redpepperracing.com. People here dont know jack about 3rd/1st gens! Ive leared that! Im doing the same thing but Im going ahead with efi. You dont have to buy a carb manifold. Some people have just cut there manifolds and used rubber cups to hold them to the manifold. Or you could get it welded. Thats just the cheap way of doing it. The engine mount kit is going to cost 500$ but its well worth the ass kickings to all other hondas with swaps you be doing in the end! I cant think of the name at the moment but yes there is a company that makes carbi manifold. I belive its the smae company that has the fastest NA honda in the world that is carb powered! NOT efi. But that was last year so who know now Also you would wanna get a webber style multi-carb style. Well I hope I helped you out

any efi vehicle with enough tuneing time can match or better the same vehicle with a carb.

carubretors work with venturi. a venturi is simply a restriction. if you ever look at the shape of a venturi on a carb, it looks like a restirction. because IT IS. efi injects the fuel however you set it up to (with simple computer knowlage) a carb dose the same thing, but you have to take it apart every time, take the carb compleatly off just to make a change. trust me, i did it on the same car your talking about. 1g crx dx 1986 modle. i put a set of motorcycle carbs on it with a custom manifold. i tuned the runners for my best bet of how the cam works, but it was the biggest PITA to tune. Of couse, a holly is simpler BUT its sitl alot more work than clicking a mouse and looking at your last dyno run.

oh yeah im on rpr too.

Quoted post[/post]]
Please read this entire post before replying.

You can run as large of a cam profile that you want to run with a carburetor, but with a computer controlled fuel system, you have to spend an a$$ load of cash to reprogram the ecu so that you won't throw a check engine light.

Here's a thought. Go find the biggest, and most sloppiest cam profile on the market for an LS honda head, and do a cost comparison. This comparison should consist of the cost to acquire good driveability with the use of a carburetor versus the use of electronic fuel injection, that is, when upgrading to this monsterous cam.

Here's the figures:

the efi option:
-reprogrammed ecu ($250+) or stand alone such as AEM ($1400+) or A'PEXi Super AFC ($450)
-larger injectors ($150+ at the least)
-fuel pressure regulator ($50+ for a new and simple model)
-wideband O2 sensor for "tooooning" ($150+)
-optional 255 Walbro fuel pump ($100)
-optional used throttle body upgrade ($175+)
-unlisted items or replacement parts for potential user error ($150+)
****THIS LIST CAN BE EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE*******

the carburetor option:
-make a jet change and be done ($3.75)
-unlisted items or replacement parts for potential user error ($4.98 for a thread tap because of stripped out threads when changing jets)
*****THIS IS ABOUT AS SIMPLE AS IT GETS******

Now look back at the first post of this thread. Do you notice how I mentioned an 84-87 crx? The only reason that I would consider a carburetor is because this car came with a carburetor. And the only reason that I would want to use this car is because it happens to weigh just over 1700lbs.

By the time you get the car converted to efi, you have spent a crap load of cash. It's best to just stay with the carburetor.

P.S.- driverunknown, PM me with the results, because I won't bash you like alot of the other members will. I would like to know how it works out for you. And what car are you doing this with?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

And to chip and reprogram/tune your ECU only costs $15 from moates.net. You can score DSM 450cc injectors for $40. You do not need an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, the stock one is fine. You can get a Walboro 255lph pump for around $75. And you can run any cam you want to, provided you know what you're doing well enough to tune it.

It is not best to stay with the carburetor, unless you want to spend MORE cash than EFI. Yes, Bisi did it. Yes, some random dude from Canada did it. Did they spend shitloads of money, absolutely.

Noone is bashing you, we're simply telling you the truth. If you want to set yourself back 30 years and go carb, go for it. Be sure and let us know how your gargantuan cam profile goes.

Tool.

Back