B-Series Trannies

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
Ok, first off Im not sure that this in the right place, if not Im sorry. So I have a question about B-Series trannies. Aside from a clutch what else needs to be done to em to handle 400whp? Do the input shafts start to fail in applications like this? How about the factory lsd, what kinda power numbers can they handle? Do the syncros need replaced? Also, does anyone on here regularly do WOT no clutch shifts? Thanks for readin.

why would you not use your clutch? learn how to drive :)

usually axels break before the diff does.

I do know how to drive thats why I wouldnt use the clutch. Do you ever consider your shift time when you look at your time slip? If i dont have to waste time pushin the clutch i can cut time off my E.T. Also, I didnt ask about axles because Im not gunna try to put 400+ HP to the ground through stock ones. Any other info?

why would you not use your clutch? learn how to drive :)
x2

If you are really worried about your shift times either learn how to shift right/faster or get an auto tranny and put a shift kit it in so it shifts faster. Otherwise you will just screw up your transmission.

I agree, time between shifts should be relatively insignificant. The biggest improvement you can make for your ET's is to improve your launch and 60' time. If you have a crap 60' time even the fastest shifting in the world isn't going to help at that point.

Well I guess everyone has their own driving styles, so dont tell me I need to learn how to drive. If you dont wanna do, then good for you. Im not worried about launching or my 60ft, cause Ive never had trouble leavin the line. I've done WOT clutchless shifts in a Mustang I had, and yes it does make a difference. Thanks for the opinions though.

from a technical standpoint, i'm going to say NO NO NO! use your clutch when you shift. ok, here's why.

now, i have no experiance with american muscle what so ever. but i'm under the impression mustangs dont normally have syncronizers? you may not shift with the clutch on your mustang, but if i'm right, the gears are tooth'd different. they dont cut diagional sideways like \ but rather just -- like dog teeth gears.

regardless. if you want to improve on your 60ft, you would still want to use the clutch. honda's have syncronizers in them that allow you to put it in a gear when RPMs are not matched. so what you're looking to do, is shift very quickly. aka powershift. use the clutch, but shift fast as a mothafucker. then, the RPMs of your motor won't have enough time to fall to the same RPMs as the next gear, so when you return your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and release the clutch, the power and drag from the motor and your clutch's holding power will pull the driveline side (trans side) up in RPM, if you see what i'm saying. this will make your car jump about 12mph in a 1/2 second (edit, from 1st to 2nd). dont belive me? i've got data logging to prove it.

that's another reason for you to use the clutch, not to mention hurting your diagionally cut gears... ;)

Last edited:
Aight thanks for the input. Makes sence how power shifting would help more in Honda being as theyre half the weight my Stang was.

I do know how to drive thats why I wouldnt use the clutch. Do you ever consider your shift time when you look at your time slip? If i dont have to waste time pushin the clutch i can cut time off my E.T. Also, I didnt ask about axles because Im not gunna try to put 400+ HP to the ground through stock ones. Any other info?

Good luck, Honda axles tend to snap around the 200hp mark.

Last edited:
from a technical standpoint, i'm going to say NO NO NO! use your clutch when you shift. ok, here's why.

now, i have no experiance with american muscle what so ever. but i'm under the impression mustangs dont normally have syncronizers? you may not shift with the clutch on your mustang, but if i'm right, the gears are tooth'd different. they dont cut diagional sideways like \ but rather just -- like dog teeth gears.

regardless. if you want to improve on your 60ft, you would still want to use the clutch. honda's have syncronizers in them that allow you to put it in a gear when RPMs are not matched. so what you're looking to do, is shift very quickly. aka powershift. use the clutch, but shift fast as a mothafucker. then, the RPMs of your motor won't have enough time to fall to the same RPMs as the next gear, so when you return your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and release the clutch, the power and drag from the motor and your clutch's holding power will pull the driveline side (trans side) up in RPM, if you see what i'm saying. this will make your car jump about 12mph in a 1/2 second (edit, from 1st to 2nd). dont belive me? i've got data logging to prove it.

that's another reason for you to use the clutch, not to mention hurting your diagionally cut gears... ;)
nicely put +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back