B, time for a new Genny?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think i'm going to keep the genesis a bit longer and hope i get rear-ended :X

Benton in our fantasy league just bought one of those.
saw that. i was going to ask you about that the next time i saw you. that link is the one he bought. (at least i think it is) lol

most of it is where you live and the cost of living.

housing is cheap, wages are low-- but everything you buy online or is sold nationwide (cars, amazon, etc), you have significantly less buying power.

Why does 'everyone in cali drive bmws'? it's not cuz everyone is rich. It's just that the price is relative to income yet fixed price goods don't change.

I see and hear of people with $500/m mortgages.
that doesn't even cover my property taxes.

but when you take home a grand a month, that's a LOT of money.
yet in san fran, that's an average worker's day or 2 of wage.

I think the best place to be is in somewhere near the top/middle where you have the high income without the ridiculous inflated housing market.

ie, san fran is ridiculous. 2 mil houses are considered cheap. And yeah, most folks make 150k at an average mid-career job. but that means someone making 75k can afford a mil dollar home? a 33k a 500k home? lol nope. the ratios aren't there. not even close.

I think i'm going to keep the genesis a bit longer and hope i get rear-ended :X
Can't blame ya...not having a car payment is money. One day...I will know how that feels....thinking about actually buying my car out ....60 months ..bam I own it.....643/m payment....new commute will put me at about 15k over the lease limit at .25 cents a mile....thats like $3800 i have to hand them and not have a car afterwards..and they don't waive it if I lease or buy a new one when I trade it in...I love the car so there is no issue with buying it....the payment is high but easily doable....or I can just buy it at the end of the lease....payment would be around 478....its a matter of do I want 7 more years of payments or 5 more years

The best deal right now for where I live is to work at Microsoft and commute from BFE. Good salary and easy commute. But B is right, it's about cost of living. I see a $50,000 house with property and it's just obscene. My gf's brother just sold his house near San Antonio. 5 acres with a pool, 3500 square feet, $300,000.

If you live within 10 miles of I-5 or I-405 here in Seattle. You won't buy much for less than $500,000. I went house shopping this weekend and the average townhouse I looked at was $700k, and they sucked.
2015-10-20 10_20_50-redmond microsoft campus - Google Maps.png

most of it is where you live and the cost of living.

housing is cheap, wages are low-- but everything you buy online or is sold nationwide (cars, amazon, etc), you have significantly less buying power.

Why does 'everyone in cali drive bmws'? it's not cuz everyone is rich. It's just that the price is relative to income yet fixed price goods don't change.

I see and hear of people with $500/m mortgages.
that doesn't even cover my property taxes.

but when you take home a grand a month, that's a LOT of money.
yet in san fran, that's an average worker's day or 2 of wage.

I think the best place to be is in somewhere near the top/middle where you have the high income without the ridiculous inflated housing market.

ie, san fran is ridiculous. 2 mil houses are considered cheap. And yeah, most folks make 150k at an average mid-career job. but that means someone making 75k can afford a mil dollar home? a 33k a 500k home? lol nope. the ratios aren't there. not even close.
Well said. Happy to have paid under 400k for my house in this area. My mortgage is almost 1k cheaper than renting a similar house in the same neighborhood. Now my plan is to move to somewhere cheaper (Denver? Austin?), keeping my same job and same pay. lol. A man can dream right? :p

Well said. Happy to have paid under 400k for my house in this area. My mortgage is almost 1k cheaper than renting a similar house in the same neighborhood. Now my plan is to move to somewhere cheaper (Denver? Austin?), keeping my same job and same pay. lol. A man can dream right? :p

I wish I could do the same. We have an office in San Jose, but I'm not ready to move yet.

I wish I could do the same. We have an office in San Jose, but I'm not ready to move yet.
I don't think you want to. Don't get me wrong, the Bay Area is a great place; there are just too many damn people here.

Seattle is a beautiful city. I'd move there in a heartbeat for the right amount of money. The problem is that I am now used to a $0 cost of living, so it'd have to be a ridiculous salary increase for me to consider any big city, really.

Back