b16 and california law?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PHOBIA

i have an 88 hatcback dx.i am planning on putting an b16 out of a del sol into my
car,i have checked with the smog bearue and they sed i can do the swap as long as it has an o2 sensor.i was told the motor that i was going to buy is a jdm motor.
and the mechanic who is going to sell it to me with parts and installation for 2500 bucks sed that it doesnt have an o2 sensore and when i got to get it smoged next year that it will register as a 94 del sol.the smog tech sed it was ok because the del sole is still a civic and it can be done legally. the smog tech sed that it had to have the same or better smog qualifications.so i guess my question is can you install and o2 sensor on an engine with out one?

I dont know what your trying to ask, but ill try this one.

Yes you will need all the smog equipment that came on the year of your motor. Second your car wont run without an o2 sensor so get one of them when it comes time to do your swap.

if the motor wont run with out an o2 sensor than how do the jdm engines differ?
or is this just a retarded question?

maybe the motor your buying just doesnt include the O2 sensor,(as in the guy doesnt have it) but you still need to buy one...

hmm,what is it about the emisions laws that makes the jdm motors fail?
damnit i love california but this smog shit is really lame.

Back