B16 Auto Cams vs 5 Spd Cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CarAudiophile

Well we always heard a rumor that there was a difference in 5 Spd and Auto Cams in the earlier model B16's and well there is.. When i got my car is came over with a Auto ECU but with a 5 Spd Tranny.. So we swapped the ECU out along time ago and the car has been running strong since the build.

But the we were talking that I bet my Motor came out of an Automatic.. So it made us pull off the head to check out the Cams.. We Mic'd the Lobes vs a set of 5 speed cams and boom there is a difference..

So we had a set of XSi Cams out of an Integra that we put a set of Toda cams into it so we Mic'd the XSi cams and the lobes were a decent size bigger. So we swapped the XSi cams into the car and boom the car runs so much better.. I have alot more top end and the car seems to react alot quicker and runs alot stronger.

So thats my story and I am happier now because the car runs alot stronger off the bottle and I have not sprayed yet on these new Cams..

What I was implying was that the XSI cams are most likely OBD1

I know there were OBD0 XSIs but Ive never seen anything for sale for them, The only thing engine related pretaining to XSI is OBD1 stuff

So the cam is MOST LIKELY from a OBD1 engine meaning it is a different cam.

IN SUMMARY So the gains were not from switching from a auto to manuel cam which makes no sense at all, but from swithing to a more agressive cam altogether.
I hope that that made some senses, im tired know

Well I might have Mic'd a set of OBD1 cams I am not sure since we had so many cams but we heard a rumor they were different.. But anyways i have a new set of Cams and I am happy about it.

If the lobes are larger measured with a Mic.. Then there is a difference. We spent about 2 hours taking heads apart and measuring the lobes out of them and they all measured differently. We got a Auto B16 sent to us from Hmotorsonline.. We pulled the cams out and measured them compared to the ones that were in another OBD0 head and there was a physical size difference. Then we pulled the Cams out of my head and compared them to a set of Stock 5 spd B16 OBD0 and the lobes were smaller on the Auto. The we compared the Xsi and the GSR cams and a single CTR cam to just get some measurements.

I only trust things and judge things when I see them first hand.. I don't go by what I read on some site or in a book.. I figure things out on my own usually and we had enough there to do testing on.. the lobes on the Auto and the 5 Spd were different. The XSi ones were also different then the same 5spd that came out of the regular B16.

So no matter what people tell me my Mic and eyes don't lie. The lobes are different between the 2 Cams.. Plain and simple. Tommorow if I have time I will measure them take a picture of the Mic on the cams and show the physical difference.

I also jst rembered that we had to do a Valve adjustment when we installed the Cams into this Motor. So right there that should tell me that there was a larger Lobe'd cam installed into this head.

Well off of 3 other Websites it has been tested the same way I did it and in fact they are different.. So might wanna have that guy redo a new book or start doing studies of your own..

that sucks because i just bought a b16 for my crx from hmotors, and its from a automatic, i thought they were the same, that pisses me off

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy+Nov 22 2004, 08:41 PM-->
CarAudiophile
@Nov 22 2004, 08:25 PM
Well I might have Mic'd a set of OBD1 cams I am not sure since we had so many cams but we heard a rumor they were different.. But anyways i have a new set of Cams and I am happy about it.
[post=420677]Quoted post[/post]​

i hear you but you gained no hp .. unless there is a difference between obd-0 and obd-1 cams and you took yours out and put in some obd-1 xsi cams ??? other than that if you took out automatic b16 cams and but in xsi cams you gained no hp .. but i see it gained confidence !! .. jus messing.. but the cams are the same ..sorry to burst your bubble !
[post=420685]Quoted post[/post]​

Stop talking out of your ass and trying to make others feel bad. The cams are different. You are stupid. Period.

I know for a fact that the auto cams are diff in obd0. I also bought an auto b16 longblock from hmotors (xsi) I noticed the motor had no top end and it wouldnt pull until like 7200. That really pissed me off. So i changed out cams from my first motor 99-00 si motor (b16a2). It feelt much better. But in the end it suckes cause hmotors send me a motor that burns oil :angry: So now i have an 0bd 2 longblock from hmotors thats and sir2. I will see if there is a difference in the cams from obd2 models as soon as we drop the motor in.

Also if im not mistaken the in old integra xsi the auto version of the b16a had only 150 hp cause of the cams, throttle body, and ecu. With a redline of 7600. However all the b16's have single intake valves springs unless its the type r version. My 99-00 civic si motor had single intake valve springs and so did the obd 0 integra xsi auto b16.

Originally posted by t3t4si@Nov 24 2004, 06:15 PM
Also if im not mistaken the in old integra xsi the auto version of the b16a had only 150 hp cause of the cams, throttle body, and ecu. With a redline of 7600. However all the b16's have single intake valves springs unless its the type r version. My 99-00 civic si motor had single intake valve springs and so did the obd 0 integra xsi auto b16.
[post=421862]Quoted post[/post]​

Ahh OK, thanks for the valvespring clarification :D

Good to know about the valve springs we looked at them and just decided its not worth it to swap em out since the motor will be pulled in the next month. He have some ITR stuff here but its not worth putting all those parts in since the new motor will be using a different head we have.

If you have a auto b16a attached to your 5 speed trans when vtec hits will it be not as loud or as aggresive. Because when i get to where vtec is i dont really hear it like i can on some cars. My friend thinks it pulls to 8k so i dont know, i have some gsr cams, but i was just wondering if thier is a sound difference also.

Back