B16 best add on !!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GTMHONDA

Hi to you all,i am in the UK and rally a GTM,i have fitted a B16A engine in the back,untill 4 weeks ago i had a B16B ek9 motor in her but i had a valve let go on a tarmac rally i was doing,thing is it let go at 9000rpm,so the head is us,bottom end needs a rebore and piston,
As for add ons my standard B16B,with just a spoon manifold and good ram air fillter that sits in a box about 3 feet from the engine,made 207 bhp but at 9000rpm.
I have just fitted my spare motor,it is a B16A,standard piston,new oil pump,ACL bearings,cam belt,a standard B16 head but with Integra Type R cams.type r inlet,the same spoon manifold as before and the same filter,yesterday on the same rolling road it made
149.2 bhp at the wheels @ 8,616 rpm
191.9 bhp at the engine @ 8,615 rpm
120.3 Ibft @ 6,834 rpm
Both engines are mapped by a sponsor of mine www.gotboost.co.uk,
it took a few hours to get this power from both engines,and we are sure the B16A would have gone to maybe 195 but with it being standard i dont want to blow any more engines up this year !!
The short and tall of this story is the B16B cost me £1600 as a kit with gearbox,ecu ect and the B16a cost about £450 all in,i had the type r cams already.
Not only does the B16a feel quicker but has much more responce from a slow/low rev range.
I put most of it down to my man Craig for his mapping skills,we use crome.
Feel free to ask any questions.
Dean:)

that's what I was thinking, I know that there is a loss but that's almost 30%

Back