B16 Block Ls Head, What Should I Exect?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kanscrx

First off, Hi all, My names Alex, I'm in Kansas, and I'm new to the board. I currently drive an 88 CRX w/a D16Z6 in it.
Well, after one friend doing a CRVTEC (b16 head), and one doing LS/VTEC, i now have a free LS head, and a $100 stock, good, b16 block. I was wondering, if I put the LS head on the B16 block, what kind of hp/tq #'s would I see? Could anyone give an accurate guess on Compression ratio? After talking with some friends, we thought that since the b16 block is good for upto 9000 rpm, we could put some cams/springs in the LS head, so it'll go to 9000, then we would have a nice little screamin' turbo engine. Or would the c/r be higher than 9.5:1? Anyone have any thoughts? Either that, or maybe it would make a nice high revving NA engine? I Guess the only way to find out is to build it, and put it in my rex.
All input appreciated,
Alex

sup alex, welcome to HS :)

I dont have much experience with ls/vtec or vice versa, but what youre doing sounds interesting

I would get the crower ls turbo cams, dual valve springs, and a nice big turbo.

No idea on the power numbers, but i bet it would be a nice powerful motor

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I thought about building that as well because I have a B16 bottome end and I had an LS head after doing my LSVTEC, but I have heard (I can't confirm or deny it) that that engine has a lot of oil leaks. That could be BS, but I am not sure. I decided against it in the long run due to cost. I don't know what timing belt you would use. You would have to plug the VTEC oil passage in the block. Those are the only issues that I know for a fact you would have.

Yeah, i had already figured on blocking up the passage, (opposite of an LS/VTEC), which isn't a problem at all. It seems like the b16 timing belt will fit too. So far, the only issue i see is the oil passage, so it shouldn't be that hard. If we had a dyno around here, I'd do it soon and post some numbers..alas, no such luck!
Alex

this does sound like an interesting little project... i'd really like to see a dyno sheet when youre done. just how lsvtec and crvtec came about, who knows maybe everyone will want a lsb16 now!!! hurry, get a patent on it :):)

that is an idea, i wouldn't do it cause of cost like lsvtec said... i dont have the time, patience or MONEY above all to do a project of that sort... but go for it and let us know how it went

PS: welcome to the board

I don't think it's possible or even worth it. Save money for complete motor. But if you want to experiment, you'll gonna need to get a tranny if you don't have one. But remember that high revving non-vtec motors lack low-end power.

Originally posted by sensation@Jan 17 2003, 07:22 PM
I don't think it's possible or even worth it. Save money for complete motor. But if you want to experiment, you'll gonna need to get a tranny if you don't have one. But remember that high revving non-vtec motors lack low-end power.

It's definitely possible- if you can bolt a B16 head onto a B18 block, you can do the same in reverse... it's just that nobody would want to do that for the purpose of a power increase.

Also, a high revving VTEC engine will have the same piss-poor low end as the same engine setup with VTEC- you don't use the VTEC lobes at low revs anyway.

Back