B16 block with mount snapped off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
my friend got a b16 out of a front end wreck

the problem is that the timing belt side mount snapped off...
i mean it actually broke the block
the motor will still run, no internal damage, except for where the mount bolts to the motor

my question is has anyone ever had this happen?
have you ever welded it?
what would welding do to cylinder #1... heat it up too much? oblong the cylinder walls?

now i know the simple and best way to fix it in my honest opinion, and i have told him this over and over, is to get a B20 block and mount his b16 head to it :)

but he doesn't seem to wanna make that frankenstein motor...

anyone have hp and torque figures for a B20 with B16 head...?
maybe figures will sway his opinion?

and a side question, can he still use his b16 tranny with a B20 DOHC vtec conversion

It can be fixed by the right machine shop. However it may cost you more than finding a new bottom end or a bare b16 block and swapping all the components.

matt

and yes to your 2nd q's

new b16 block with not be cheaper than getting the piece welded back on, thats just absurd...

and i think he should get a new block, but b20 instead of b16...

i was more curious if anyone else has had this problem and if their clyinders warped when and if they did weld on the block

The cyl won't warp if it is done corectly at a machine shop. Besides welding alunium is very difficult. If it is still a good block I would have it fixed. There are less and less B16's out there. Just a thought besides I like a project. haha

it doesnt matter if its cheap. is it safe? IMO, no. the block is alluminum, and with a chunk ripped out right at a stress area i wouldnt trust it, cause when its "repaired", not only is there a vertical force down at that point (weight of engine), theres also a moment (from the engine torquing). i would get a new block and not have to worry about the peice comming apart again and have your engine fall out while you are driving it., but thats just me.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 20 2004, 02:29 PM
new b16 block with not be cheaper than getting the piece welded back on, thats just absurd...

and i think he should get a new block, but b20 instead of b16...

i was more curious if anyone else has had this problem and if their clyinders warped when and if they did weld on the block

An LS block can easily be had for $100.

I woudn't weld it. Besides the already mentioned safety issues, if the welding job is just a hiar out of alignment the motor will be loaded in one direction or the other forever, if it even goes in. My .02

is part of the block ripped off? or did the bolts just pull out? because when i got in a accident something simular happened and i had to heli-coil in the holes

Back