b16 Bogging, Help please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Brians Efhatch

i got an 89 ef hatch, and the head gasket randomly went out..after replacing it i have had problems..when im alone in the car it runs fine and just sometimes bogg at a constant speed and i have to accelerate to clear it up..but when someone rides with me..it boggs hardcore, gotta fight it to stay running at a stop, and it smokes....bad...until i got to about 50 then it stops smoking but can smell fuel and exhaust and no power what soever..unless i acclerate..can someone please help me out..i have changed my 02 sensor..its 4-1 header and the sensor is far down.heard they foul easy there...but it was a champ before the head gasket blew...so im stumped

not yet, i think i heard a back fire today slowin down..when i replaced the head gasket i marked the dizzy on up and everything..and when i tried putting it back on..the marked up wouldn't go up so i had to rotate it 180 and it slid right in

It doesnt matter were the dizzy is when you time it. The cams should line up and the crank should be on the single line. The dizzy is just for ignition timing

the rpm gauge use to jump from .2 - 1rpm then my battery crapped out and i changed it and it just stays at .5-1 rpm but doesn't jump but still boggs

They can be swapped out for a si one that has them. Well check your wiring to the negative coil output and make sure it is connected good. Or you could have a faulty coil but I don't think that will cause it to bog down.

The timing may be off a tooth after re-installing the head with new head gasket (which is what I think hondafreak513 was thinking about earlier).

But the OP made it sound intermittent.....?? So I think its something else. Although it would be good for the OP to check the synchronization of the cam gear and the crank pulley.

Color of smoke? I am guessing black from excess fuel (the smell you are getting). That tells me that ignition timing may be off (or something hay-wire in the dizzy) Check the plugs. after it runs and can cool a little, take a plug out and look at it. Color? Black? Smell like gas? But I would definitely get a timing gun on it and follow the correct procedures to adjust it. May need to be advanced.

I don't know about EF but my OBD1 set up needs me to jump the service plug to adjust/set the timing on the dizzy.

Last edited:
could it be my valve seals? or maybe my valves not sittin right?..they were out of adjustment for about 6 months until i could finally get around to adjusting them..so could it be oil getting into it? cause on the inside of my exhaust tip its all gunky

on the smoke color..white and blue smoke looks the same to me..so yeah..all i know is..it smokes on crank like a puff..then stops..unless someone rides with me..then it constantly smokes..and bad...but when alone...its fine..everything i think of..goes to valves or something..i have 1 o2 sensor with obd0 ecu..and it ran perfect with one before the blown head gasket...but now its acting up..

White is a sign of coolant getting into the cylinders (like a bad head gasket)

Blue can be burnt oil

Going through coolant? Oil?

I am guessing the head gasket is leaking since you just put a new one on. Did you have he head checked after the gasket blew? It might need to be machined from the excessive heat when it originally blown.

OP = Original Poster

No i didn't cause the temp gauge didn't read hot...and but then again it never gets over mid way..but it uses oil..and a friend told me i gotta re torque the head after running a while after changing it? if so..i didn't do that either

Back